Chapter 5

By the end of the fourth day of our honeymoon, I was beginning to settle into the rhythm of palace life, though I still felt more like an outsider than a queen. My days were quiet, filled with walks through the gardens, idle moments spent by the windows, and the occasional visit from my lady’s maid, Anna. The palace was beautiful, but I couldn’t help feeling caged, like a bird in a gilded prison.

Conrad, for the most part, remained a mystery. I saw him only in passing—brief glimpses of him across the courtyard or exchanging polite greetings as we crossed paths in the corridors. It was as though we were playing roles in a grand play, each of us carefully maintaining the illusion of a happy, united royal couple, even though we hadn’t truly begun to understand each other.

But tonight was different. Tonight, we were finally sharing a private dinner—just the two of us. The thought both excited and unnerved me. I wanted to know more about him, to understand the man behind the crown, but the weight of our impending consummation hung over me like a shadow. The fact that it hadn’t yet happened only made the anticipation worse.

I stood before the mirror, smoothing the soft folds of my gown, trying to calm my nerves. My heart raced as I thought about what this evening might bring. Dinner, conversation... and then what? Would tonight be the night? I had no idea what to expect.

“Your Highness,” Anna said softly from the doorway, “King Conrad is waiting for you in the dining hall.”

I nodded, offering her a small smile before turning to leave. As I walked through the halls, the cool marble beneath my feet and the soft glow of candlelight guiding my way, I reminded myself to breathe. One step at a time.

The dining hall was intimate, a far cry from the grand banquets I had imagined when I thought of royal life. A small, round table was set with candles and simple dishes, giving the room a cozy, warm atmosphere. Conrad was already seated, looking up as I entered. His face softened when he saw me, and for the first time, I noticed a gentleness in his expression.

“Rosalie,” he greeted me, standing as I approached. “Please, sit.”

I took my seat, and for a moment, we sat in silence, the soft clinking of dishes being served by the attendants the only sound. I focused on my breathing, willing myself to remain calm. Conrad seemed relaxed, his posture casual, though I could sense that he was observing me closely.

“How have you been settling in?” he asked, his voice sincere. “I know these past few days must have been... overwhelming.”

I blinked, surprised by the question. His tone wasn’t just polite—it was genuinely curious, as though he truly cared about my answer. I hesitated for a moment, unsure of how honest to be.

“It has been... different,” I admitted carefully. “Everything is so new, and the palace is beautiful, but...” I paused, searching for the right words. “It’s been a bit lonely.”

Conrad’s brow furrowed slightly, and he set down his fork, leaning forward slightly. “I’m sorry,” he said quietly. “I’ve been busy with matters of the kingdom, but I should have made more time for you. This is as much your home as it is mine.”

I smiled faintly, appreciating the sentiment. “I understand,” I said. “You have your duties as king.”

He nodded, though there was a shadow of regret in his eyes. “Still, I will do better. You deserve more than solitude.” His gaze lingered on me for a moment, and I felt the warmth of his attention settle over me.

For a while, the conversation remained light—he asked about my time in the gardens, my thoughts on the palace, and even about the meals I had been enjoying. I found myself relaxing, the easy rhythm of the evening almost enough to make me forget the tension that had been building inside me for days. But as the meal drew to a close, Conrad’s tone shifted, more serious now.

“There’s something we need to discuss,” he began, setting his wine glass down. His eyes met mine, and the moment I had been dreading finally arrived. “As you know, our customs require that we... consummate the marriage before the first week is over.”

His words hung in the air, and I felt my chest tighten. There it was, spoken plainly at last. I had known this was coming, but hearing it made the reality of it all the more tangible. I lowered my gaze, unsure of how to respond, my heart racing.

Conrad watched me carefully, clearly sensing my discomfort. He reached across the table, gently taking my hand in his. “I don’t want you to be afraid,” he said softly. “I understand that this is all new for you, and I’m not going to rush you. But... it is something we must do.”

I swallowed hard, nodding, though my mind was spinning. His touch was warm, his words kind, but it did little to ease the anxiety swirling inside me.

“I... I know,” I whispered, my voice barely audible. I wanted to sound brave, confident, but all I could manage was a soft, trembling response. “I just... I don’t know what to expect.”

Conrad gave me a small, reassuring smile. “It won’t be as bad as you’re imagining, I promise. And I’ll do my best to make sure you’re comfortable.”

His words were meant to comfort, and in a way, they did. He was kind, thoughtful, and considerate. But no matter how gentle he was, the reality remained—my purpose in this marriage was clear. I was here to serve him, to give him an heir. It was my duty, my role, and no amount of reassurance could change that.

He must have sensed the weight of my thoughts, because he squeezed my hand gently. “I want this to be as easy for you as possible,” he said. “I’ll give you the choice—what night would suit you best? We have three days.”

The fact that he was offering me a choice caught me off guard. I had never expected such consideration from a king, and for a moment, I felt a surge of gratitude. He was trying to be respectful, to allow me some semblance of control in a situation where I had very little.

But then I remembered my place. My purpose.

“I appreciate that,” I said softly, looking up to meet his gaze. “But the choice is yours, Your Majesty.”

His brow furrowed slightly, as though he wasn’t sure how to take my response. He hesitated for a moment before nodding, a small sigh escaping his lips. “Very well,” he said. “We’ll... we’ll do it tomorrow night.”

My heart skipped a beat, and for a moment, it felt as though the air had been sucked from the room. Tomorrow night. That was it. The decision had been made.

I nodded slowly, trying to process what was happening. “As you wish,” I whispered, my voice tight.

Conrad seemed to sense my nervousness, but he didn’t press me further. Instead, he gave my hand one last squeeze before letting go. “It will be fine, Rosalie,” he said softly. “I’ll take care of you.”

I nodded again, though my thoughts were racing. Tomorrow night. In less than twenty-four hours, I would no longer be just the girl who had grown up in the Royal Academy. I would be the queen—Conrad’s queen—and everything that came with it.

The rest of the evening passed in a blur. We exchanged polite conversation, though neither of us seemed fully engaged. The weight of what was to come hung heavy between us, unspoken but ever-present.

By the time we finished dinner, I was exhausted—both from the day and from the emotional toll of the conversation. Conrad walked me back to my chambers, his hand resting gently on the small of my back as we moved through the quiet halls.

When we reached my door, he paused, turning to face me. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said softly, his gaze lingering on mine for a moment.

I nodded, offering him a small, tight smile. “Tomorrow.”

And with that, he turned and walked away, leaving me standing alone in the hallway. My mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions, but one thing was clear—tomorrow night, everything would change.

I stepped inside my chambers, closing the door softly behind me. The room felt larger than usual, the silence heavier. I walked to the window, staring out at the darkened gardens below, my thoughts racing.

Tomorrow night.