Chapter 30

Moments after the twins made their grand entrance into the world, the room was still buzzing with the remnants of joy and disbelief. I was wrapped in the warmth of the moment, cradling my daughter, Bernadette, in my arms, while Conrad held our son, Bellamy, close to him. The weight of our new family felt surreal, almost like a dream from which I never wanted to wake.

But then, the door swung open with a force that startled me, and in walked Conrad’s mother, her expression a mix of excitement and entitlement. “Where is my grandchild?” she demanded, her voice booming as if she had just entered a royal court.

I felt a slight chill run through me at her presence, the warmth of our blissful moment dampening a little. “They’re right here,” Conrad said, his tone neutral but firm. He shifted to make room for her to see the babies, though I could sense a storm brewing behind his calm demeanor.

She stepped closer, her eyes widening as she spotted the two tiny bundles. “Twins!” she exclaimed, her voice a mixture of surprise and disdain. “Well, finally, Rosalie did something right.”

I bit my lip to keep from responding to her comment. After all the effort and emotion that had gone into bringing our children into the world, I refused to let her deride that moment. Instead, I focused on Bernadette's small face, trying to soak in every detail.

“What are their names?” she asked, her curiosity quickly shifting into a critical gaze.

“Bellamy and Bernadette,” Conrad replied, his pride evident in his voice.

The moment I heard the name ‘Bernadette’ slip from his lips, I felt a rush of warmth wash over me, but the air in the room turned cold as his mother’s expression twisted into outrage. “Bernadette?” she shrieked, her voice rising several octaves. “You named her after that disgraceful name? After an orphan?”

The word ‘orphan’ hung in the air, heavy and cruel. I flinched at her tone, the sting of her words hitting me like a slap. But I took a deep breath, holding Bernadette closer to my chest as if to shield her from the vitriol.

“Mother,” Conrad said, his voice steady but firm, “that’s her name. It’s meaningful to Rosalie, and it’s important to our family.”

“Meaningful?” she scoffed, shaking her head as if the name itself was an affront to her dignity. “It’s tasteless! A name like that should not be associated with my grandchildren. Change it!”

“Absolutely not,” Conrad said, his tone turning icy. “You will not speak to my wife or our children like that. Bernadette is a beautiful name, and it’s a name that carries meaning. If you cannot respect that, then you have no right to be here.”

I looked up at Conrad, surprised and touched by the fire in his voice. He was standing up for me and our children, protecting us from the harsh words of a woman who didn’t know the first thing about love or sacrifice.

His mother’s face turned a shade of red, the fury simmering in her eyes. “You cannot seriously expect me to accept this,” she hissed. “I will not have a granddaughter named after an orphan! It’s disgraceful for the royal family.”

Conrad stepped forward, putting himself between her and me. “You need to understand, Mother, that we are a family now. We make decisions together, and I will not allow your prejudices to dictate what names my children will carry. If you cannot support Rosalie and accept our choices, then you will have to leave.”

The tension in the room crackled like a thunderstorm, and I held my breath, unsure of how his mother would respond. For a moment, it seemed as if she might explode. Then, slowly, she seemed to realize that the room was not going to bend to her will this time.

“You are choosing her over your own blood?” she spat, her voice low and venomous. “This is how you want to run your family?”

“This is how I want to run my family,” Conrad affirmed, his voice unwavering. “With love, respect, and unity. If you cannot understand that, then perhaps you need to reconsider your role in our lives.”

His mother opened her mouth to retort, but the words failed her. She looked between the two of us, the twins in our arms, and finally, she let out a huff, frustration radiating off her. “This isn’t over,” she warned, turning on her heel and storming out of the room.

As the door slammed shut, the tension in the air shifted, replaced by a palpable sense of relief. I exhaled slowly, allowing the weight of the moment to settle in my bones.

“Thank you,” I whispered to Conrad, my voice trembling with gratitude and emotion.

He turned to me, his expression softening. “You don’t need to thank me for standing up for you and our family,” he said, moving closer to me. “You are my wife, and those are our children. I will always protect you.”

I felt tears prick at my eyes as I looked down at Bernadette, then over to Bellamy, who was peacefully sleeping in his father’s arms. In that moment, I understood that no matter the battles we faced from the outside world, our family would be a fortress built on love and respect.

“Let’s focus on them,” I said, a smile breaking through my tears. “Bellamy and Bernadette need all the love we can give them.”

“Agreed,” Conrad replied, his gaze softening as he looked down at our son. “They will never have to feel the weight of our past mistakes. We will give them everything they deserve.”

As we stood there, side by side, the world outside faded away. It was just us and our little family, bound together by love and an unbreakable promise to protect one another. In that moment, I knew we could face anything together, and I felt a sense of peace wash over me.