Chapter 17: Jax

I can't control it. My anger is livid as I watch Harper get pushed into the portal. Strength surges back into my body, and I force myself free from the restraints. The pull from the magic starts to fade, but my will to protect her only grows stronger. I won't let her go. Not this time. If it takes marking her or killing that bastard Drake to break the bound, then I'll do it. Kill him, mmmm I like that idea – my wolf growls at me. She is mine, he continues.

I move, slowly at first, each step heavier than the last as the shock and disbelief of everyone in the room washes over me. Dawn's stunned face is a blur. Her mouth opens, but no words come out. None of them ever believed I'd break free.

I fix my gaze on the portal, still swirling, threatening to close at any second. Panic claws at me. I can't lose her. Not again.

My legs kick into high gear as I charge toward the portal, desperate to reach Harper before it shuts completely. The air around it starts to shimmer, growing thinner.

Almost there... just a few more steps.

Suddenly, a hand grabs my arm. I spin around, growling, my wolf at the surface. But the portal flickers, then vanishes into nothing. Gone. Harper's gone. I shake from his grip, as if his touch burns my skin.

The pain in my gut is beyond anything I've ever felt, twisting deep inside, threatening to tear me apart. My wolf howls within me, furious, hungry for blood, demanding violence. The urge to kill something—someone—is growing. I clench my fists, trying to rein it in, but the rage is overpowering. I need to be calm. I have to think, but I'm losing control.

I exhale slowly, trying to breathe through the fury. Stay calm, Jax. Harper needs you in control, not lost to this rage.

"Jax, it's no use." Her father steps in front of me, his eyes pleading—the look of a man consumed by fear. "This... this has to be."

He's supposed to be powerful, a force to be reckoned with, but right now, all I see is weakness. His shoulders slump, and there's nothing commanding about him. It's pathetic, and I can't help but think, No wonder Dawn left him, my agrees with me. I know it's a petty thought, but in this moment, they're all the enemy for letting her go—for letting her leave me.

They could've stopped this. They didn't. And now Harper's gone, and every second that passes feels like betrayal.

"Don't speak to me. You could've stopped him. You're fucken witches!" I shout, rage boiling over.

"We can't. Not when he has her bound. She needs..." He hesitates, glancing at my face, fear mingling with his words. "She needs to break it herself."

"No. We were going to break it." I point to the portal, then back to myself. "If none of you will help, then I will find a way."

"We did help her," her father insists, his tone firm, like he truly believes he's done the right thing. Typical witches—always thinking spells are the answer to everything. Fury grips me tighter. Spells won't fix this. There are forces out there, more powerful methods, but these people cling to their magic like it's the only way.

"Find a way, you will, but she will still succeed, and you will fail. But the raven... she always helps," Dawn mutters to herself, her voice slipping into nonsense. Seconds ago, she was talking sense, now it's just garbage. This family is all kinds of messed up

"Jax, it's the only way," her father says softly.

"Who told you that? Her?" I point to Dawn, who's now swaying side to side, lightly dancing across the floor with slow, flowing movements. Her father's eyes dart between us, fear etched on his face.