Chapter 30 - Harper

I stretch, feeling the comfort of Jax's bed beneath me. His scent lingers in the air, filling the room with that gorgeous, manly smell that I love. It's like candy to me, something I craved during the time we were apart. I missed this smell more than I realized. Memories of last night flood my mind—the way we forgave each other with every kiss and touch. I told him about Drake wanting me to claim him, and Jax, in turn, told me about the woman he almost slept with to forget me. It didn't matter. We spent the car ride home, and the rest of the night, and the last few days proving to each other just how much we belonged together, marking one another in every way possible.

I hear him approach the door, the scent of something delicious cooking through the air. As he steps back into the room, I sit up, letting the blanket slide off, purposely exposing my breasts. His eyes darken instantly with desire, locking onto me.

"Morning, sexy," I tease.

"Harper, that's unfair," he says, grinning, as he walks towards me wearing nothing but an apron and holding a pair of tongs.

"Planning to use those on me?" I ask, my voice low and playful, as he leans in and takes my nipple into his mouth. I moan at the sensation.

"If you want me to," he murmurs against my skin, "I'm sure I can think of something." He teases me with the tongs, moving them closer to my other nipple, making me growl at him instinctively. He chuckles, looking down at me. "Did you just growl at me?"

I giggle, feeling both playful and a little surprised at myself. "Umm, yeah, I think I did."

Jax sits up, his expression curious as he studies my face. "What's that look for?" I ask.

"There's something you should know," he says, his tone serious now. "When a wolf marks their mate, sometimes...their powers transfer."

My eyes widen in shock. "Wait, are you saying I could turn into a wolf?" I blurt out.

He laughs softly, shaking his head. "No, not exactly. But you might get some of my strength, maybe even start to pick up a few wolfish traits."

"Are you fucking serious?" I stare at him, both excited and confused. He leans in, kissing me again, this time to calm me down. I pull him closer, my fingers gripping the back of his neck, wanting to lose myself in the kiss. But just as things start to heat up, my stomach growls loudly, interrupting the moment.

Jax pulls back, a smirk on his face. "Looks like someone's hungry," he says, his voice warm. "Good thing I'm making you breakfast."

He stands and heads towards the door, but pauses in the doorway, turning back to me with a grin. "Clothing optional, by the way," he says, pointing to my naked body. The playful Jax is back—the one reserved just for me.

"Okay," I reply with a wink, deciding to grab one of his oversized t-shirts since it's a bit chilly this morning. As I walk into the kitchen, I catch the hint of irritation on his face, but that quickly fades when he notices I'm wearing his shirt. His smile returns.

He sets a plate of food in front of me—eggs, avocado, and a hash brown, my go-to breakfast from New York. The gesture doesn't go unnoticed. He's been paying more attention to me than I realized. Here I was, thinking I was alone in my little New York bubble, but he's always been there, quietly watching, even knowing what I have for breakfast. I glance over at his plate, stacked high with bacon, eggs, and four slices of toast. Typical.

"Hungry much?" I tease.

"Yeah, after last night, I'm famished," he replies with a grin.

I laugh, feeling a happiness I haven't felt in a long time. "I like this feeling," I say, looking at him with a smile.

"Yeah, me too," he says softly, reaching over to take my hand and kiss it. It's a small, tender gesture, but it fills my heart. I pull away, grabbing my utensils to dive into the food. My hunger is too strong to ignore, and I know he won't be offended by my eagerness to eat.

"Jax, how did you know this was my go-to breakfast?" I ask between bites.

"Well..." he starts, giving me a sly smile, "I may have had someone keeping an eye on you. To keep you safe, of course."

My eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "Are you serious?"

"You remember the cop we knew in New York?" he asks, leaning back in his chair.

I nod, laughing. "Yeah, I remember."

"He's my cousin."

I blink in surprise. "Jeez, you have family everywhere."

He grins, clearly pleased with himself. "Yeah, it would've been hard for you to stay hidden for long. I was always going to find you."

I stand and straddle his lap, feeling the warmth of his body beneath me. "You know I was letting you find me, right?" I say with a teasing smile.

He chuckles, his hands sliding under my shirt, caressing my back, and brushing against the underside of my breasts. "Maybe, but it wouldn't have mattered. I always knew you'd come back to me."

I lean down, pressing my lips to his in a soft kiss. "I'm exactly where I'm meant to be."

We kiss again, and the world fades away. It's just us, wrapped in this inevitable bond, knowing that nothing and no one could ever break it.

After a while, Jax pulls back and gives me a pointed look. "Now, finish eating," he says with a wicked grin. "I need to fuck you again before I go see Ashton and deal with the Kane and Tobias situation."

I laugh, hopping off him without missing a beat. "Yes, sir," I say, quickly finishing my breakfast and gulping down a glass of water. Then, without a word, I stand up and strip off his shirt. His eyes darken as he watches me, his gaze filled with lust and admiration.

"Hurry up and eat," I tease, running my hands down my body. "Your dick is hungry, and we've got some business to take care of."

Jax stands abruptly, tossing his apron to the floor. "You're damn right it is," he growls, chasing after me as I squeal in delight, running towards the bedroom.

We tumble onto the bed together, and in that moment, everything feels perfect. This is the beginning of something real, something powerful. I know that whatever comes our way, we can face it—together.

________________________________________