chapter 35

The day had drawn to a close, and the sun was beginning to dip below the horizon, casting the city in a warm, golden light. Inside his office, Damien finished signing the last of his documents, the day’s work now behind him. He leaned back in his chair, his mind already drifting away from the mundane tasks of running a company. Instead, his thoughts were fixated on one thing—or rather, one person: Seungmin.

He had been waiting for this moment all day. The invitation he extended earlier still hung in the air, and as much as he kept his cool exterior throughout the day, inside, he was eager to see Seungmin again. The flutter of anticipation that he rarely allowed himself to feel swirled in his chest as he shut his laptop and stood from his desk.

His first few steps toward the exit were steady and deliberate. He didn’t want to rush. But the closer he got to the front of the building, the quicker his heart seemed to beat. By the time he was outside, standing beside his sleek, black car, the crisp evening air brushed over him, doing little to quell the warmth that spread through his body at the thought of their impending meeting.

Damien leaned casually against his car, his suit perfectly tailored, his sharp jawline accentuated by the soft light from the setting sun. He looked every bit the powerful CEO he was—ruthless, confident, with an air of control that commanded respect. Yet beneath it all, there was a softness he felt only for Seungmin, a gentleness that flickered to life whenever he thought about the shy, blushing boy who had already started to slip past his defenses.

After a few minutes, Damien’s sharp eyes caught sight of Seungmin emerging from the building. The younger man walked slowly, almost cautiously, and there was a nervous energy to the way he moved, his hands clutching the strap of his bag tightly. But there was something else there too—something that made Damien’s heart skip a beat. Excitement.

Seungmin was nervous, yes, but there was also that small flicker of excitement in his eyes, as if he wasn’t quite sure what he was feeling, but he was willing to explore it.

Damien smiled, a soft curve of his lips, as he watched Seungmin notice him. Their eyes met, and just like earlier that morning, the connection between them was undeniable. Seungmin’s face flushed a deep red, his steps faltering for just a moment as he realized Damien was waiting for him. He blushed, lowering his gaze for a second before mustering the courage to look up again, his heart pounding in his chest.

Taking a deep breath, Seungmin walked toward him, his stomach swirling with nervous energy. He couldn’t quite put his finger on what he was feeling—was it nervousness? Excitement? A mixture of both? Either way, the sight of Damien standing there, looking as handsome and composed as ever, made his heart race in ways he couldn’t ignore.

When he reached Damien, the CEO’s smile widened just slightly, and for a moment, Seungmin forgot about his nerves.

“You ready?” Damien’s voice was smooth, gentle even, a stark contrast to the hard-edged businessman Seungmin had expected.

Seungmin nodded quickly, feeling the blush deepen on his cheeks. “Y-Yeah.”

Without another word, Damien opened the passenger door for Seungmin, his movements graceful and practiced, making Seungmin feel a little flustered as he slid into the luxurious car. Damien circled around to the driver’s side and got in, starting the engine with a low purr as they pulled away from the office and into the evening streets.

They didn’t say much on the drive to the café, but the silence wasn’t uncomfortable. There was an unspoken understanding between them, a shared anticipation that hung in the air. Seungmin found himself stealing glances at Damien out of the corner of his eye, his heart skipping a beat every time Damien’s fingers brushed the steering wheel or when he caught the slight curl of a smile on Damien’s lips.