Chapter 35

Mia

As soon as we reached the bench, he started kissing me, and I was still giggling while he kissed me.

"Oh, wait, wait. I know why you're kissing me without letting me talk," I said.

"What?" he asked.

"Why didn't you come to school for the last two days? I called and messaged you, but you never replied. Even your friends didn't know why you were absent," I asked.

He thought for a few seconds.
"Papa is in the hospital. He had a heart attack," he said, but he didn't look sad. He said it casually, like his Papa going to the hospital for a heart attack every week was totally normal.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Enzo," I said, taken aback. I hadn't expected something like that. "Were you sad?" I asked, placing my hand on his chest.

"I... yeah. I am," he said, but he still didn't look sad. In fact, he seemed more annoyed by the question. I didn't know why he acted so strangely whenever I asked about his family.

"Is that why you didn't call or message?" I asked.

"I guess," he said, resting his head on my shoulder. He hid his face in my neck, and I felt his lips brush against my skin. It tickled, and I giggled.

"Enzo, stop it," I said, still giggling.

"You don't like it?" he asked, looking at me.

"I like it," I whispered shyly.

"Then why do you want me to stop?" he asked.

"It tickles," I said.

"You don't like tickles?" he asked.

"I do, but..." I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed his lips. My fingers tangled in his jet-black hair. I didn't finish the sentence. I didn't want him to know that when he kissed my neck, it made me want him even more. It made me crave more than just his kisses. But I knew I had to control myself. This wasn't the right time for that. I loved Enzo, but you can't always trust boys, even if you love them with all your heart. People change once they get what they want, so I wasn't ready to take that risk or disappoint my parents—or myself.

"Why did you cry yesterday?" he suddenly asked.

"How did you know?" I asked, surprised.

"Diego mentioned it earlier," he said.

"It's nothing," I replied. I didn't want to tell him about Ava. I knew he didn't like her, and I didn't want him to get into trouble.

"Tell me," he insisted firmly. His dark eyes seemed even darker, like he was angry.

"It's really nothing," I said, looking down. I was too scared to meet his gaze.

"Tell me," he demanded, grabbing my arm a bit firmly, his tone growing angry. I looked at him, surprised.

"I said it's nothing," I repeated, shocked by his reaction.

"Tell me, or I'll set the whole school on fire," he said, his anger escalating.

"What? Are you crazy, Enzo?" I asked, fear creeping into my voice. I knew he was the type of person who could actually do something like that.

"One more time, Mia. I'm not asking you again. Why the hell were you crying yesterday? Who made you cry?" he asked angrily, his voice rising.

"Someone said I'm a slut and that I'm sleeping with you, and that's why you're still with me," I said, looking down.

"Who the hell said that?" he demanded angrily.