4: Preparations for the Outsider & Courting Dinner

In order to be ready for conversation the next time they crossed paths, Tyler made sure to read the book Josh had gotten for him. Tyler was so excited that he made sure to read the first few chapters of the book several times. It was interesting and sometimes made no sense, but he cherished it deeply.

   Josh visited him again on Monday. It was after 5pm, and the shop got pretty slow around 5 on the weekdays. Though Tyler didn't close until 7, he had begun wrapping up and packing up most things for the night.

      Tyler nearly didn't recognize him because of his change in hair color. It was a bright pink on top, though it remained brown on the sides. It was fascinating. While he had seen people with colored hair before, he never knew someone with it.

   "Woah," Tyler gasped, staring at the bright hues in front of his eyes. "Pink." Tyler grinned.

    "What do you think of it?" Josh did a 360, showcasing his new haircut and color.

    "It's so cool, Josh." Tyler replied with the utmost sincerity. "Did you do it?"

    "Thank you. And, no. My friend Debby did."

    Instantly, Tyler found himself frowning. He had no right to, either. It was perfectly acceptable and normal to have other friends. "Oh," He nodded, trying to think of what to say. "Is she your girlfriend?" He blurted, unable to hold in his curiosity.

   Josh let out a soft laugh, shaking his head. "No. I haven't had a girlfriend in a while." It seemed like Josh was trying to indicate something with his voice, but Tyler couldn't put his finger on it. Opting not to pry, he just smiled up at Josh, feeling oddly satisfied with his answer.

     "Oh, okay." Tyler nodded. "Just haven't found the right girl yet?" He asked, giving Josh a hopeful smile.

     The older man could only chuckle. "Yeah, something like that."

     Tyler had no idea what Josh had meant by that, but he chose to ignore it. If he brought up everything he didn't understand about Josh, they would be here forever. "That book—I read a few chapters." Changing the subject, Tyler flushed slightly when Josh grinned.

     "What did you think of it?"

     "Well, I did not understand some things, but I feel that's because it is a fantasy world... Not just because I don't know things about the new age," Sheepishly, he rubbed the back of neck—something he did when he was nervous. He wasn't sure why Josh made him so nervous.

     "I can always explain things, if you're confused." Josh offered, and Tyler nodded.

     Honestly, he had many questions, but he didn't want to ask them in fear of coming across as stupid. Still, he daintily replied, "Thanks, Josh." Tyler looked up at him through his long lashes in a way that made Josh's stomach flip.

     "How—" Josh began, abruptly shutting his mouth as the look on Tyler's face cut off the circuit of thoughts to his mouth. Clearing his throat, he forced himself to look away, studying the fresh loafs on the rack behind Tyler. "How are you? Has it been busy?"