The Shadow King

**Earlier that day**

*Kyoya's POV*

After discussing with the staff outside Alicia's room, I headed to Andy's office. I knocked, and he let me in. He was sitting at his desk, head in his hands.

"Don't you think that was a bit much, sir?" I asked.

"No. Nobody speaks to me like that. You know this."

"Sure, but she clearly has no idea who you are. She was taken from her home in the middle of the night and brought here. I looked into her background. She doesn’t have much to her. Her father, Richard, is a drunk and an addict. Her mother, Aurora, was killed when Alicia was five, likely because of her father’s actions, but he was never proven guilty. They’ve always lived in poverty. Alicia works at a local coffee shop." I walked over to a filing cabinet, pulled out a file with her name on it, and set it on his desk.

"Feel free to look through this. It's everything I could gather about her—medical records included. She was probably abused by her father, too. There are numerous medical visits for broken bones, bruises, and infections. She dropped out of high school at sixteen. Before that, they were homeless for two years, drifting from truck stop to truck stop, living in a car. She’s had a rough life, but she seems sheltered from this world of ours. I’d suggest going easy on her, that is, if she decides to stay."

"Very well. You're dismissed." Andy waved me off, his eyes fixed on the file. His brows furrowed.

"And Kyoya," he added, pausing for a moment, "thank you."

I nodded and left. Andy may seem cold, but once you get to know him, he’s not so bad. Ever since his mother passed, he’s shut himself off, even from me, and we’ve been best friends forever. Part of me hopes Alicia stays. She’s had it tough, and maybe she’d like it better here. I see the way Andy looks at her, and I can’t help but smirk. Maybe she’s what he needs. Until then, I could really go for some lunch.

I headed to the kitchen, where Edgardo, the chef, was already preparing lunch.

"Edgardo, make sure the young lady in the east wing is offered something to eat. She skipped breakfast, and while we can’t force her, she should at least have the option."

"Yes, sir. Does she have any preferences?"

"I'm not sure. Offer her a selection and see what she likes. As for me, I’ll have a parfait with seasonal fruit." Edgardo nodded, sending a maid off toward the east wing.

While he worked on lunch, I tackled some of Andy’s financials. It is always good to keep things on budget.

---

**Andy's POV**

"Dammit!" I cursed, slamming my fist on the desk.

What the hell is wrong with me, getting so wrapped up in this girl’s life? She’ll probably run as soon as she gets a chance. Hell, I’ve probably scared her off. Good. I don’t need anyone else here—especially someone who doesn’t understand this life. Yet, I can’t stop thinking about her. Her skin, the color of amber, her eyes like western coneflowers. A button nose and dark, tousled curls like the night sky. And that distant, haunted look... the same one I see in the mirror every day.

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. She can’t stay here. A knock at the door snapped me out of it. I quickly shoved her file into a drawer.

"Come in."

"Good afternoon, sir. What would you like for lunch?" the maid asked timidly.

"Just toast with spray butter and a lot of grapefruit," I said, waving her off. She quickly exited, closing the door behind her.