A Dangerous World

Alicia's POV

Yesterday was nothing short of a disaster. After Kyoya left me with Alaine, she assigned me the thrilling task of laundry. Well, more like a soap opera, because I used way too much of their fancy detergent and turned the entire laundry room into a bubble bath. Seriously, it looked like a scene out of a comedy. After that fiasco, I was sent to gather dishes from the other staff, and I managed to get lost for over an hour. Can you blame me? I got stuck on the fifth floor, lost in a labyrinth of hallways, and when I finally found my way, I ended up on the fourth floor instead of the third. They had to send three people to search the grounds for me, and Alaine thought I was trying to make a break for it! She gave me one last chance: make dinner for the night. Luckily, I know how to whip up an absolute bomb lemon pasta. Kyoya even complimented me again, and this time, he had a real smile. Something tells me he doesn't smile often—if at all.

As the alarm goes off for me to get up, I realize I've been awake for quite a while. I went to bed last night around ten, and here I am at seven, wide awake. I throw on a fresh maid uniform, and thank the heavens, it isn’t one of those skimpy numbers. Instead, I get a cute white button-down blouse with long sleeves, a black knee-length overall pinafore skirt with four large buttons for the straps, and a little bow around the collar. The shirt even has some ruffles on the chest. Honestly, I’m kind of digging the look.

I hustle to the kitchen to meet Alaine and the other maids for my daily dose of torture—I mean, tasks. She tells me I'll be watering the plants in the garden until eight a.m., and afterward, we'll gather for breakfast, where she'll bestow my next delightful chore upon me. Sure, I can manage that. I make my way into the garden and find Kyoya glued to his computer.

"You're up early. Something tells me you've been awake for a while now, haven't you?" I smirk, trying to break the ice.

"Indeed. I like to make sure business is handled properly." His tone is as flat as a pancake.

I shrug and grab the watering can. I take it to the water hose and wait for it to fill up.

"So, any plans for today other than working?" I try to strike up some small talk.

"No." His disinterest is practically a wall.

Well, alright then. Once the can is filled, I take it to each plant, making several trips back and forth. Occasionally, I glance up to see Kyoya either typing intensely or stealing quick looks at me before diving back into his work. By the time I finish, I’m drenched in sweat.

"It’s pretty hot out here, don’t you think?" I try again.

"No."

"Hmm. Not much of a Chatty Cathy, are you?" I challenge him, leaning against a plant.

"No." Ugh, so frustrating!

"You know, I see you looking at me. You wouldn’t happen to like what you see, do ya?" I tease, arching an eyebrow.

"What? No, why would you say that?" His face flushes, and I can’t help but chuckle.

"Just kidding! Lighten up, Kyoya!" He raises an eyebrow at me, and I catch a glimpse of a tight-lipped smile.

"I am lightened up just fine. Thank you."

"The hell does that even mean?" I walk over to him and playfully punch his shoulder. "You’re pretty tense. Have you eaten? It’s almost time for breakfast."

I walk away, heading into the kitchen, where the smell of delicious food greets me. On the table, I find plates of whole grain bread topped with smoked salmon and cream cheese. In some bowls are capers, thinly sliced red onions, and wedges of lemon. For a side, there are fresh mixed berries. Wow! This looks amazing. I wait for everyone to file in. Remembering Alaine’s orders about the Boss, I quickly whip up a plate and head to Andy's office.