The Bread and Punishment

Sir Geoffrey's brow furrowed in confusion. "But my liege, should we not take Prince Tristin as our prisoner? He is the one we won against."

King Henry's eyes narrowed, his face twisting into a mask of anger. "You dare to question my orders, Geoffrey? I want Princess Avalyn, and I want her now. Do you understand?"

With a heavy heart, Sir Geoffrey issued the command to his men, his voice breaking the tense silence of the camp as they were ordered to seize Princess Avalyn and escort her to the king's tent. As they closed the distance, her gaze met theirs, and amidst the flickering shadows of the fading light, her eyes shimmered with a blend of fear and unwavering defiance, reflecting the determination that burned within her.

"You will pay for this, King Henry," she spat, her voice laced with venom. "I am the daughter of King Xavier and my people will not stand for this injustice."

King Henry merely smiled, a cruel glint in his eyes. "Your father is dead, and your kingdom is in ruins. You have no one left to protect you now, Princess."

Princess Avalyn's chin quivered slightly, yet she held her head high, determined not to display any hint of fragility as she was escorted away, her wrists tightly bound behind her back. The flaps of the king's tent swished open, and with a brutal shove, she was hurled to the ground, landing with a thud at his feet. Her emerald eyes blazed with fury, shimmering like fire in the dim light, a storm of indignation brewing within her.

"Why have you done this?" she demanded, her voice fierce.

King Henry knelt before her, his hand reaching out to brush a stray tear from her cheek. "Because you are strong, Princess Avalyn. Stronger than any of them. And I want that strength by my side."

Princess Avalyn recoiled at his touch, her spirit unbroken despite her captivity. "You may have defeated us in battle, but you will never break us. We will rise again, stronger than before."

King Henry rose to his feet, his eyes dark with a mixture of admiration and desire. "We shall see, Princess. We shall see."

As the days stretched on like an endless horizon, Princess Avalyn found herself confined within the cold, opulent walls of the king's palace. The heavy drapes blocked the sunlight, casting long shadows that crept across her chamber, and every flicker of movement was scrutinized by the ever-watchful guards stationed at her door. Yet, despite the weight of her captivity, a flame of defiance flickered within her. Her spirit radiated resilience, illuminating the gloom that surrounded her, refusing to be snuffed out even in the darkest of times.

She felt King Henry was different to her this time. Contrary to her past experiences, he refrained from instructing his royal guards to inflict punishment or conduct torture upon her. Instead, she found herself under constant surveillance, with her every move watched meticulously throughout each passing day.

This change in his behaviour left her feeling unsettled yet somewhat relieved, as the absence of physical harm came as a bittersweet contrast to the constant scrutiny she now faced. Despite not facing the brutal consequences she had expected, the weight of being constantly monitored loomed over her, creating a new kind of fear and unease at the palace.

As a result, she found herself ensnared in an unending cycle of anxiety, grappling with the uncertainty of King Henry's true intentions. Each shift in his demeanour raised suspicions, making her wonder if his newfound kindness concealed a darker, more devious scheme lurking within the intricate web of the royal court. The air around her felt thick with intrigue, leaving her constantly on edge, as she navigated the treacherous landscape of palace politics.

In a grand castle nestled among misty mountains, The kingdom of Westen, Princess Avalyn was held captive in a dismal cell, the cold stone walls echoing her silent suffering. Her once-luminous eyes now dulled with despair as she awaited her fate, a fate sealed by the whims of King Henry.

One moonlit night, the heavy creak of the cell door announced King Henry's arrival. The flickering torchlight revealed his stern face, his regal attire imposing even in the dimness. He carried a small plate with a lone piece of bread and a glass of milk, a pitiful offering in the eyes of the princess.

Handing the meagre fare to Avalyn, King Henry's gaze bore into hers, silently demanding compliance. But within the princess's heart, a fierce defiance burned. She could not bear to let him see her weakness, her hunger, her subjugation. So, with trembling hands, she accepted the food but refused to eat in his presence.

King Henry's eyes blazed with a mix of anger and confusion. How dare she defy him, the ruler of this land! His voice, laced with authority, cut through the stale air of the cell. "Princess Avalyn, do you mock me with your insolence? Eat, or face the consequences."

But Princess Avalyn remained resolute, her silence a shield against his tyranny. She would not yield, not even to a king.

Frustrated by her defiance, King Henry left the cell, his cloak billowing behind him like a storm cloud. And thus began a twisted routine - every two days a week, he would bring the same meagre meal to Princess Avalyn's cell, a punishment disguised as charity.

As weeks turned into months, a fragile tension hung in the air between them, unspoken words filling the void. King Henry's visits became a reminder of Princess Avalyn's captivity, a reminder of her dwindling strength and spirit.

Yet amidst the darkness of her confinement, a flicker of humanity remained. Princess Avalyn glimpsed a vulnerability in King Henry's eyes, a vulnerability masked by his crown and his commands. She saw a man burdened by his own demons, his actions a desperate grasp for control in a turbulent world.

One night, as King Henry stood before her, offering the familiar plate of bread and milk, Princess  Avalyn's voice broke the silence. "Why do you persist in this charade, Your Majesty? Do you truly believe this cruelty will break me?"

Surprise flashed across King Henry's face, his facade of regality slipping for a fleeting moment. He hesitated, the weight of her words sinking deep into his soul. "Oh, I just don't know, Princess Avalyn. I mean, all I really want is absolute obedience and unwavering loyalty. Clearly, that's what life is all about, right? But who knows, maybe I've totally missed the point of what actually matters."