The Addiction: Good News

The Addiction
Part 5

Dr. Compton went to call the surgeon in Dallas, Texas. Dr. Richardson is the surgeon.

"Dr. Richardson." Compton greeted when the phone was answered. "I have a patient here in Lima, Ohio who needs your help."

"What does this patient need?" Richardson asked, getting a file ready.

"He has lung cancer in his right lower lung. If the cancer is not removed, you know he will die." Compton was very nervous he knew that the eight year old girl did not have lung cancer, but Kurt does.

"Is it only in the right lower lung? The cancer has not spread throughout his other lungs?" Richardson asked.

"No. He is at stage two, so it could start to spread if we don't take action." Compton said over the phone.

"What is your patients name?" Richardson asked.

"Kurt Hummel. He is seventeen years old. He's 5'10. Weighs around 130, I believe." Compton informed Richardson.

"Alright. Get this young man down to Dallas, as soon as possible." Richardson said.

"I will. Thank you, Dr. Richardson." Compton smiled.

"No problem. Call me when he's on the helicopter." Richardson hung the phone up, and Compton went to tell the Hummels the good news.

Dr. Compton walked back into the waiting room, Blaine saw him first and approached him.

"Will he do the operation?" Blaine asked, fear eating away his stomach.

"Yes, Dr. Richardson is willing to do the surgery." Compton said with a smile. They all breathed a sigh of relieve. "He has to be loaded onto an air ambulance, so we can get him to Dallas faster."

"Can we see him?" Blaine asked.

"Yes, you may." Compton led the Hummels into Kurts hospital room. He was sleeping, he had an oxygen mask on, and he look incredibly peaceful.

Blaine and Burt went to Kurts bedside, he was fast asleep. Blaine took his right hand, and Burt took his left.

"I'm here, Kurt. I'm here." Blaine had tears streaming down his face. He blamed himself for the lung cancer.

'Maybe if Kurt hadn't come over that day, this wouldn't have happened. If I hadn't went out to smoke after Mr. Harvey messed with me, we wouldn't be here.' Blaine thought some more and continued to blame himself.

"Blaine," Burt started. "Stop blaming yourself. The cancer had always been there, it just didn't activate until recently."

"I caused it to activate." Blaine said, with so much regret. "If I hadn't been a smoker, he wouldn't be here. God, this should be me. Not him."

Kurt starts to wake, his eyes fluttered open. "Blaine? Dad?" He said groggily, removing the oxygen mask off his face.

"Yeah son, it's me and Blaine." Burt stroked Kurts hair back.

"What happened? Why am I in a hospital again? Did I have another attack?" Kurt questioned, furrowing his brows.

Burt looked to Blaine and Blaine sighed, "I'll tell him, Mr. Hummel."

"Tell me what?" Kurt asked, curiously with a hint of fear in his voice.

"Kurt," Blaine took Kurts hand in both of his own. "The doctors did an MRI, and they found something. Kurt, you have stage two lung cancer." Blaine sobbed.

"What? Lung cancer?" Kurts voice broke a little. "Am I going to die?"

"No, you aren't." Blaine squeezed Kurts hand. "There is an operation that can remove the cancer. The cancer is only in your right lower lung, it hasn't moved but it will if it isn't acted on. You are going to be moved to Dallas's Children's Hospital to have this operation."

Kurt breathed heavily, he was scared out of his mind. His mom had died of lung cancer, apparently it was a hereditary chain. Kurt was grateful he would be the last to get it. No way, was he going to give his kids the lung cancer gene. If he and Blaine are to have kids, Kurt would let Blaine be their biological father. Or they would adopt.

"I'm going to only have 1 1/2 lungs?" Kurt looked at his dad, and his dad nodded. "Will I have a normal life span, as a person with two lungs?"

Blaine took Kurts hands, "Yes, baby. You will live a very long and a very happy life." Kurt smiled and kissed Blaines cheek.

Burt smiled, he hadn't seen Kurt light up since he and Blaine had started dating. Dr. Compton knocked on the door.

"Hello?" Compton came inside. "Hi, Kurt. I'm Dr. Compton." He shook Kurts left hand, the one that wasn't being occupied by Blaine.

"Hello. Are you my surgeon?" Kurt asked.

"No, I am your main doctor. Your surgeon is a man named, Dr. Edward Richardson. He's a nice man, you'll take a liking to him." Dr. Compton took a more serious turn. "Now, we have an air ambulance here for you. We need to get that lung out asap. Not everyone in your family can come with you." Kurts face dropped. "Only five people can fit, we already have myself, a nurse, and you. You get to take two out of your four."

Kurt thought for a moment. "My dad and Blaine." Kurt squeezed Blaines hand.

"Kurt, are you sure?" Blaine asked. "You don't want Finn to go with you?" Blaine had learned the name of Kurts step brother after the asthma incident.

"Yes, Blaine. I'm sure. Finn and Carole will be fine." Kurt looked at Dr. Compton. "Can I say goodbye to them before we go?" Dr. Compton nodded, he left the room to go collect Kurts nurse, Hanna. Finn and Carole would be taking an airplane to Dallas, Texas instead of taking the air ambulance.

Finn and Carole walked into the room, Blaine pulled his hand away from Kurts. Finn hugged Kurt, Carole did as well. They discussed what was happening and what was going to happen. Carole pulled something out of her bag.

"Kurt, I brought you some sweat pants and a T-Shirt. They told me that you could wear normal night clothes until your surgery." Carole handed them to Kurt.

"Thank you, so much Carole." Kurt hugged her. "I need to change, so could all of you please leave?" Kurt blushed. They all nodded and went out the door, Blaine stood and Kurt grabbed his hand.

"Not you." He said to Blaine. "I'm going to need help." Kurt blushed again. Burt gave them an accepting look that said it was okay.
Everyone left, but Blaine.

"Can you turn your back towards me?" Blaine asked, Kurt turned so his back would be facing Blaine. Blaine carefully unbuttoned each button slowly. He slid the gown off of Kurts shoulders and kissed his back. Kurt shivered, he turned to face Blaine.

"Arms up." Blaine said, like he was talking to a child. Kurt lifted his arms up and grinned. Blaine carefully placed the Marvel T-Shirt over Kurts head. Kurt carefully shoved his arms through the arm holes, he watched his IV very carefully. "Hey, isn't that shirt mine?" Blaine asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Maybe." Kurt chuckled.

"Where did you get my shirt?" Blaine smiled, grabbing the Dalton sweats.

"You left it at my house." Kurt smiled back at him.

"Let me help you with the sweats." Blaine helped Kurt shimmy into the sweats. When Kurt was comfortably dressed, he laid on his side in the hospital bed. Blaine brushed Kurts lips with his thumb.

"Kiss me, Blaine." Kurt said. Blaine obliged and kissed Kurts lips. Kurt kissed back. They kept kissing until a knock on the door came, the sprung apart and Blaine called, "Come in."

Dr. Compton walked in. "Are we ready Kurt?"

Kurt nodded and grabbed Blaines hand. "I'm ready."