Chapter 6

Everyone in Headquarters was applauding for Anxiety after she got Jeremy on our side.

"Wow. I wish I could do that" said Envy. 

"Aw, gee, it was nothing, guys. I'm just trying to help" said Anxiety.

"I agree. Great job, Anxiety" I said. "I stepped back, you stepped in, now I'm ready to step back in."

"But that was just part one of my plan" said Anxiety.

"There's a part two?" I said. 

"A good plan has many parts, Joy" said Anxiety. 

"Maya!" Meemaw's voice called. 

"Oh, that's my Meemaw" said Maya to Jeremy. 

Meemaw came up to us. "Who's this, honey?"

"This is Jeremy Clyde, Meemaw" said Maya.

"Oh! Am I seeing things?" Meemaw gasped.

"No you're not" said Jeremy.

"Oh, my granddaughter really looks up to you, sir" said Meemaw shaking his hand. 

"So I've seen. She's very sweet" said Jeremy.

"Jeremy thinks we're sweet!" Anxiety squealed. "Everything is beautiful!"

"You're very kind to let her into your home" said Meemaw.

She turned to Maya. "Now let's go, sweetie. Wait until you see our new place."

We were about to follow, but Jeremy looked like he wanted to let us in. 

"Jeremy wants us!" Envy shouted excitedly.

"But we promised Meemaw" I said.

"Joy, we need to plan for the future" said Anxiety.

She pushed a button, but Maya didn't move.

"She made a promise to her grandmother. She's not gonna break it" I said. 

"Oh, you're so right, Joy" said Anxiety.

She ran up to the Sense of Self and ripped it right off its stand. 

"You can't have that!" I said.

"Joy, it has to be done" said Anxiety.

She pulled down my tube for bad memories and launched the Sense of Self to the back of the mind. 

"I know change is scary, but watch" said Anxiety.

She touched the console and Maya stayed in Jeremy's flat. She looked coldly at Meemaw, then turned around. 

"That is not Maya!" I said.

"I know. It's a new Maya" said Anxiety.

"A Maya who'll have a place to live after Meemaw dies" said Envy.

"And to make completely sure Jeremy accepts her, we build her a new Sense of Self" said Anxiety. "A brand new her."

She grabbed an orange memory and started to open the elevator to the Belief System.

The five of us original emotions blocked her path. 

"You can't go down there with that!" I said.

"Over my dead, flaming body!" Anger agreed.

Anxiety's expression turned uncomfortable and kinda sad. "I am truly sorry; I was so looking forward to working with you guys."

Embarrassment picked the five of us up.

"Maya's life is more complex now. It requires more sophisticated emotions than all of you" said Anxiety. "You just aren't what she needs anymore, Joy."

"How dare you, madam!" Fear snapped.

"You can't just bottle us up" I said. 

"Ooh! That's a great idea" said Anxiety.

Embarrassment put us in a jar and punched three holes in the lid. 

"It's not forever, Joy" said Anxiety. "Just until Maya goes pro. Or until she turns thirty. Or maybe forever; we'll have to see."

Then a platform lowered us away from Headquarters.

"Don't worry, Maya, you're in good hands" said Anxiety. "Now, let's change everything about you."