chapter 13:Hidden Truths

Niall's laughter echoed through the flat, mingling with the others. Louis smiled, feeling a sense of relief. But beneath the surface, Louis's concern lingered. Something was off about Niall. He couldn't quite put his finger on it, but the usual spark in Niall's eyes seemed dimmed.

Excusing himself for a "wee," Louis slipped upstairs to Niall's room. The door creaked open, revealing a space that was quintessentially Niall. Posters of their favorite bands adorned the walls, and Niall's beloved guitar leaned against the bed.

Louis's gaze swept the room, taking in the familiar sights. He spotted Niall's journal, always tucked away, always private. Curiosity got the better of Louis. He sat on Niall's bed, journal in hand.

As he opened the cover, a pang of guilt struck. This was an invasion of Niall's privacy. But Louis couldn't help himself. He needed to understand what was troubling his Boo. The journal's pages revealed Niall's inner turmoil. Louis's heart sank.

"I'm worthless," Niall wrote. "A burden to everyone." Tears pricked at Louis's eyes. How could Niall think this? "I'm trapped in my own mind," Niall's words continued. "The darkness consumes me." Louis's grip on the journal tightened. He had no idea.

Page after page, Louis read on, his heart heavy. Niall's struggles with self-harm, his desperation for escape. Louis felt a wave of regret. Why hadn't he seen this? Why hadn't he been more supportive?

As he read the final entry, Louis's eyes welled up. "I wish I could be strong enough," Niall wrote. "For Liam, for my friends." Louis closed the journal, his mind reeling. He realized that Niall's laughter downstairs was a mask.

A mask hiding the pain, the fear. Louis knew he had to talk to Niall. To let him know he wasn't alone. That they'd face this together. Louis replaced the journal, his resolve firm. He'd be there for Niall, no matter what.

Downstairs, Niall's laughter continued. But Louis saw beyond it now. Saw the hidden truths. And vowed to help his Boo heal. Louis's heart swelled with determination. He'd support Niall through this darkness.

Taking a deep breath, Louis returned downstairs. Niall's smile faltered as their eyes met. Louis forced a reassuring smile. "Hey, Boo. Just needed some fresh air." Niall nodded, oblivious to Louis's newfound understanding.

The evening unfolded, filled with laughter and camaraderie. But Louis's gaze lingered on Niall, seeing beyond the surface. Seeing the pain, the struggle. And Louis knew he'd be there to catch Niall when he fell.