chapter 20: A glimmer of hope

The waiting room seemed endless, until finally, a nurse emerged with a warm smile. "Niall's stable. He's going to be okay."

The boys exhaled collectively, relief washing over them. Louis pulled out Niall's journal, a symbol of hope. "His safety net," Louis whispered.

Liam beckoned the others aside, his voice barely above a whisper. "Guys, I need to tell you something. My cut...it wasn't an accident. Niall did it too."

Harry's eyes widened. "What? Why didn't you say?"

Liam's voice cracked. "I didn't want to burden you, but...I get it now. He was struggling, and we didn't see."

Zayn's eyes stung with tears. "We should've been there."

As they entered Niall's room, his peaceful face alleviated their fears. Machines beeped softly, monitoring his steady heartbeat.

The boys gathered around, speaking softly. "Hey, Nibear," Louis whispered, holding Niall's hand.

Harry smiled through tears. "You're safe now, mate."

Liam gently touched Niall's shoulder. "We're here, always."

Zayn leaned in, voice trembling. "We love you, Niall."

Niall's eyelids fluttered, and he weakly smiled. "Love...you...guys."

Their hearts swelled, witnessing Niall's resilience.

Louis opened the journal, placing it beside Niall. "Your safety net's back, mate."

Niall's gaze drifted to the journal, a faint nod acknowledging his lifeline.

As the boys continued their gentle vigil, Niall's eyes drifted shut, surrounded by love and support.