Ren - 19: Sober

Rina walked Jason back to the bus stop. The bus arrived just as they did and Jason kissed her goodbye. Rina blushed and began to head back home. As she was walking, she passed by Ren’s house. She remembered the days and weeks and months when she used to walk over and wait at the front step for someone to let her in. Suddenly, she remembered the spare key that Ren had given her. She wasn’t sure if she had given it back or if she had kept it. She couldn’t recall Ren asking her to return it since they never dared to speak to each other until this morning. Quickly, she ran to her house and up to her room, rummaging through her drawers, jewelry boxes, and jacket pockets for it. Finally, she found the little bronze key sitting in a purple box on her shelf.

     Should I return it now? Will he be offended? Will he be creeped out that I’ve kept it for this long? I should go. I don’t need this key anymore. He should have it back… I… I want to see him again. I really want to see him again.

     Rina slowly walked over back to Ren’s house. She wondered whether to knock on the door or ring the doorbell… or even just use the key. No, it’ll be creepy if I used the key. It’s been a year since I last used it. I should just ring the doorbell.

     DING DONG~

     She waited… and waited… and waited…

     DING DONG DING DONG DING DONG.

     “Oh my God,” she whispered under her breath. She was starting to feel embarrassed.

     She rang the doorbell one last time, praying for someone to come and answer. Finally, the door creaked open.