Kai - 12: Secret

“Some words are best left unsaid.”

     The weekend rolled in, and Rina was excited to find out where Ren had planned on taking her for their date.

     I hope he doesn’t take me anywhere fancy, she thought. Unless it’s a party, I hate fancy.

     Just in case, Rina hinted to Ren that she didn’t like going to restaurants unless they were eating fast food. Ren assured her that they weren’t going anywhere extravagant and told her to bundle up because it was going to be cold.

     Rina’s excitement turned into anxiety. She was worried that Ren was going to take her some place that she didn’t have any interest in, or that he would spend too much money on this date. She, however, didn’t tell Ren about her uneasiness because she didn’t want him to feel that she was doubting his skills as a boyfriend.

     Ren waited for Rina outside her front door. They were going to take the express bus, which was nice and comfortable, down to midtown. Ren paid for both of their fares, which added up to twelve dollars. This upset Rina, who would’ve taken the longer, but cheaper way by train to the city. The two took a seat in the middle section of the bus. The seats were soft, unlike the benches of the local service buses. Rina wasn’t used to them because she hadn’t taken the express bus in a long time.

     “Are you okay?” Ren asked.

     Rina nodded. She placed her bag onto her lap and rested her head on his shoulder. It was only nine in the morning. Rina usually slept until noon during the weekend. Ren wrapped one arm around her and pulled her in closer.

     “I knew you were tired,” he said. “If you go to sleep now, then you won’t be able to figure out where we’re going by the places we pass.”

     “I can’t tell, anyways. I never use this bus,” she yawned. Ironically, she was better at directions when she was underground in the subway.

     Ren’s cologne smelled nice. It was a subtle smell of chocolate, a scent that Rina enjoyed very much. Meanwhile, Ren could smell Rina’s perfume, which she thought had already faded away. She smelled like a flower. Ren couldn’t figure out what kind of flower she smelled like, but it was a lovely aroma. Usually, they both just smelled like their meals.

     Thirty minutes passed. Rina had fallen asleep in the first ten. Before she did, she prayed that she wouldn’t start snoring. She had been told by many of her friends, including Ren, that she never snored in front of them, but she was still afraid that she would.

     “We’re here,” Ren said, poking her.

     “Where?”

     Rina looked outside. She knew where they were, but she could still not figure out where he was taking her.

     A restaurant? This early in the morning? I told him I didn’t want to go to one. He told me not to dress up! Are we going shopping? No, that’s stupid. Where are we going?

     They got up from their seats, said thank you to the bus driver, and left. Ren took her hand and led the way. His hands were frozen. He still didn’t have any gloves.

     “They were destroyed,” he said. “I left them on the snowman all this time. When I found them today, they were too ruined to wear.”

     Rina pulled out a pair of gloves from her bag. She bought them the day before, just in case.

     “Wear these,” she insisted with a smile. “I had a feeling that you would need them."

     Ren thanked her and put on the gloves. His hands were still cold, but a lot warmer. Taking Rina’s hand again, he resumed escorting her towards the destination. The two passed by about five restaurants, Rina sighing with relief each time they did, before they reached a park.