Ch. 3: I Kick Some Demigod Butt

"Hold up! Capture the flag? We have capture the flag here?!" I say with bright eyes.

"Yup! But we're allowed to use magic items and weapons. No killing though." Jack says as he wraps an arm around my shoulders, a bright grin across his lips.

"Sweet!" I squeal excitedly.

He laughs at how happy I look.

"See you tonight... uh...?" Lauren starts but I forgot I haven't said my name.

"Ambrosia Delia Minerva." I place a hand on my heart, bowing slightly in respect.

"Interesting name. All Greek till the last name." Rose raises an eyebrow.

"My mom says our ancestors were born in Rome, but we fled to Greece, which still doesn't make sense to me. After many centuries passed and the Roman Empire fell, we headed west till we got to the United States, and, yes, they had to pass through Italy in the process. I don't know what exactly my ancestors were thinking, to be honest. I guess they thought they needed to start over because they left Rome in the first place." I shrug.

"Ah..." Lauren looks to the side awkwardly after getting a history lesson about my family, "See you after camp sing along, Ambrosia." She walks away with the rest of her cabin mates.

Rose smiles at the departing daughter of Ares, shaking her head. She looks at me, studies me, then smiles. For some reason, her gaze makes my face redden. Why do I feel my heart beating faster now that it's just her with Jack and me? Is this the effect that comes with being the offspring of the goddess of love?

"See you at capture the flag, goddess." She winks at me as she struts in the other direction.

Okay... So much just happened in such a short amount of time, it's a bit overwhelming. Jack squeezes me into his side and gives me a reassuring smile. Somehow, his smile calms me down enough to give a genuine smile back.

Since I don't know who my godly parent is yet, I am allowed to do whatever with whoever so I decide to stay with Jack. He is the only one who I know and am comfortable with currently. We first go to the climbing wall. It is like rocking climbing but with lava shooting out of it. Great... It takes me a second to figure out what I'm doing without getting myself killed. When I get to the top, I realize I only have one burn.

"You're doing better than I thought you would! That's good!" Jack smiles, looking at the clock, "In only twenty-five minutes after your first time? Impressive!"

After that, we go to archery practice. Jack pulls me to the end of all of the targets so we don't have to be surrounded by the other Apollo kids since I'm a "beginner". I haven't told him I took archery yet.

"Now, this may be a bit hard since you're newer to the sport. Well, I mean, unless you're an Apollo child or a hunter of Artemis, which we don't know about Apollo and it's very likely you're not a hunter." Jack rambles a bit.

He hands me a bow and a supply of arrows in a quiver. He helps me to get in the right "position" to hold the bow. The only reason I keep quiet about my skill level is because I want to see his expression when I show off.

"Alright. Now try shooting." He steps back, cautiously.

I notch the arrow then exhale. Lifting the bow to get in position, I let go of the arrow. It shoots so fast, nobody even saw it shoot from the bow. I lower my bow and smirk. The arrow hit directly in the middle of the bullseye.

"Holy Apollo..." I heard one of the Apollo children mumble.

"Hey! You didn't tell me you knew how to shoot!" Jack pouts.