Prologue

It's been about a month and a half since the incident. Owen and I continued to live into the bungalow until we finally found a place. Zach and Gray had to go back to Madison, Wisconsin, and I was right, Claire went with them. I guess she's staying with them until she finds a new job and can get her own place.

I remember the goodbye very well, and it was sad. It was later that afternoon.

***

I was hobbling around on my crutch helping people. I was in need of a shower. I was covered in dirt and my hair was a mess. I eventually met the Mitchell's. They were very sweet and emotional. It just made me miss mine more. A person behind me cleared their throat and tapped me shoulder. I glanced behind me and found myself facing Zach and Gray.

"Hey." I greeted. They looked a little sad. I think it was time.

"We're leaving now, Jess" Gray informed me. I nodded sadly. Upset that we never got to talk. I haven't seen them since last night and now they're leaving. He ran forward and nearly knocked me over in a hug. "Thanks." He said.

"Bye Gray." I told him, let him go. Gray sadly smiled at me and walked back off towards his parents who were waiting by the enterance with Claire. Zach still stood in front of me. I had expected him to go back with Gray, and I was glad he didn't. "Bye, Zach." I sadly waved. He rubbed the back of his neck and stood nervously.

"I- I know both our phones are ruined, so I'm doing this the old fashioned way." I didn't quite understand until he grabbed my arm and a marker. Zach carefully wrote numbers down. "If you ever want to talk, or text, that's my number."

I smiled. I haven't texted anyone other than Owen in a long time. "Yeah! Uh- have a safe trip home." I told him. Zach gave a tiny smile and walked away. I waved goodbye to Claire, who caught my eyes. I knew I'd see her again. Claire and Owen won't leave things in the open after today.

***

So then Claire had called Owen one day while we were trying to figuring things out in our little house. Claire had been looking for her own place when she found a small house a few streets away from the Mitchell's, perfect for Owen and I. We had a few savings from work, extra money from the accident, and money from our parents that would last us a while until Owen could find work.

When I had heard the news, I was trilled! It took a month for us to work out the paperwork, and move ourselves in. My leg was healed long by that time, although there is a frightening scar. There was a welcome cook out, hosted by the Mitchell's, where many of our new neighbors were invited. I wasn't too fond of it, but I got to see Zach and Gray again for the first time in weeks.

We talk all the time and I see them alot. I've grown so close to the two of them. Just last week I admitted it to myself, that I possibly liked Zach Mitchell.

As for, Owen and Claire, they've had a lot more dates and I think they have all ended well. I know Claire has finally gotten an apartment and found a job as the assistant to an interior designer. I suits her perfectly, organized and stylish. Owen is currently jumping between jobs. But I know he wants to join the police force. He hasn't mentioned it to me, yet.

It's summer, the middle of June. My birthday is tomorrow and I'll finally be 16. I hope to pass my driver's test, unlike Zach. Although he is retaking the classes. Owen is continuing to homeschool me, just so the move isn't too stressful and we can still bond.

I had woken up the next day, June 17th. Happy Sweet 16 to me. I stretched and threw my legs over the side of the bed onto my black fuzzy rug. Owen and I had painted all the rooms with the Mitchell's last week. My room had been done with a light blue and I painted one wall in a chalkboard type thing. I looked around my room looking for my phone. I found it on top of my dresser. I noticed something new was written on that chalkboard wall. Happy 16th Jess! I smiled and headed out he door, down the hall and towards the kitchen to make some coffee.