Chapter Eighteen: "The First Mission"

Amber's POV

"Here, kitty..." I crawl around, trying to find the missing tabby.

"Tch," Sasuke searches next to me, which irks the pinkette.

"KITTY?!" screams said pinkette.

"Find that cat," Rin mutters, frowning.

Kurai wordlessly jumps into the barrage of wilderness, reappearing just as quickly with a startled brown cat. On impulse, I rush over and cuddle the adorable feline.

"Okay... Uchiha women love cats," Naruto notes, staring at how I'm practically smothering the creature.

"Jealous of the cat?" Sasuke scoffs, kicking Naruto.

"HEY!"

"Stop staring at my girlfriend," he glares.

My gaze wavers, finding the pink haired girl again. Sakura Haruno, that's her name. She was probably named that after the rather beautiful sakura blossoms. Me? My name stems from the colour of chakra that my parents claimed surrounded me when I was born. Mother said that it was as though I were a gift from Kami-Sama, but I've blatantly denied the story and that comment. Me, a gift from the gods? Yeah fucking right...

"Tch. I'm not your anthing, Sasuke-kun. You're way too childish," I roll my eyes, glancing away from Sakura when I realise that I've been staring long enough to be creepy.

"Eh?" Sasuke's eye twitches.

I raise the cat in my arms, trying to remind everybody where we're here in the first place.

"Let's go take this little fellow home, okay? We can discuss personal matters at another time..."

Sakura sighs, but stands and starts walking. To avoid standing near my clan member, I rush to her side and pretend to be interested in girl talk. Interestingly enough, she actually talks to me. Is it because I've loosened up, or has she actually moved on and found another guy to stalk?

I'm almost tempted to ask her.

Kakashi's POV

We head back to the Hokage's building after dropping off the cat. His owner smothered him worse than my co-captain ever could, not saying that she isn't well endowed or anything. Naruto is still complaining about wanting a better mission and Amber is glaring, just like Sasuke and Sakura. Rin and Kurai, however, agree with Naruto. By the time we arrive to the Hokage's office, Naruto screams at our Lord.

"NOOO! I WANNA GO ON A REAL MISSION! SOMETHING CHALLENGING AND EXCITING, NOT THIS LITTLE KID STUFF!'

Iruka-Sensai screams at him about the order of things, to which Naruto only screams back louder. Lord Hokage sighs, explaining how the system works. He explains that Hokage is at the top and that genin are at the bottom, but Naruto is busy telling us about ramen.

"Oh, sorry," I say.

"STOP LECTURING ME AND GIMME A GROWN UP MISSION!"

"I'm going to hear about this later," I sigh when Lord Hokage starts laughing.

"Naruto wants us to know that he's not a brat anymore, that he's a former brat and that he wants a ninja mission. So be it."

"HUH?!" Naruto, Sasuke, and everyone who isn't the Hokage stares, confused.

"Since you are so determined... I'm going to give you a C Ranked mission. You'll be bodyguards on a journey," explains Lord Hokage.

"We've got all the padding that we'll need, right here!" Rin appears behind Amber, fondling her.