Chapter 27

Hannah and I tape up the last box of the day. We packed up my bed sheets, my books, and about half of my clothes.

Parker texted Hannah that dinner's in 10 minutes, so we have to hurry up. He doesn't like it when we don't get home on time. It's like he's a dad and a brother all in one.

"Okay. That's the last one for today," Hannah says after writing clothes on the box. "Lets go."

I immediately walk to the window as Hannah walks to the door. She gives me a confused face. "Oh," I say. "Right. Sorry, habit."

Hannah rolls her eyes and walks out, me behind her. In the hallway, I see my mom's bedroom door open. I stop and look in it, with a sense of anger or longing. I can't tell.

"Come on, Macy." Hannah turns around and sees me staring into the room. "You okay?"

She walks over to me and glances in the room. She knows what it is.

I feel her arm wrap around my shoulders and watch the other close the door. "It might be better to not look in there just yet," she whispers.

I nod and turn away to walk out of the house. I don't want to be here anymore. The memories here are to horrible. This place will never be called home ever again.

But what will be home?

Maybe it doesn't have to be a place. Maybe just two eyes and a heartbeat.

~~~~~~~~~

I eat the last bite of my lasagna and place my dishes in the sink. Let me tell you one thing: Parker can cook. He may be going to college for football, but there's always a secret talent in everyone.

I lean against the kitchen island, listening to the conversation between Hannah and Jenna with Parker laughing at what they're talking about. I'm about to jump into the conversation when the doorbell rings. Everyone stops and looks in the direction of the door, even though they can't see it.

I sigh. "I'll get it."

Hannah smiles and goes right back to talking. Not long after, Parker laughs so loud, it can be heard all the way from Switzerland.

I softly chuckle to myself and open the door. Behind it stands Jason holding Mike's hand.

"Someone missed you," Jason says.

"Hmm," I say. "Was it Mike?"

The little boy giggles and walks over to me. Mike jumps up and I catch him, but barely. "Woah there." I steady him in my arms. I look at Jason to see he has a blank look on his face.

"Just kidding," I say with a smile. I step aside to let Jason into the house. Parker laughs loudly once again, causing Jason to give me a confused look.

"Hannah's cousin," I tell him.

"Ohhh," he says, wrapping an arm around my waist, hitting Mike's foot in the process. Mike tries to hit him back, but he can't reach, causing Jason and I to laugh. We walk into the kitchen and with one look from Parker, he nearly chokes on air.

"Please tell me that is not your kid," he nearly screams once he's caught his breath.

Jason and I burst out laughing. "Oh, gosh no! This is Jason's little brother!"

Parker visibly relaxes. "Okay." He tensed back up when he realizes I was talking about a boy's little brother. "And who are you?" He glares at Jason.

"Relax, Parker. This is Jason, my boyfriend," I tell him. "Parker, Jason. Jason, Parker."

Jason waves nervously as Parker's lips press into a thin line. He gets up and walks over here slowly to make it seem more dramatic. I re-situate Mike so I'm holding him with one arm and grab Jason's hand with the other. He twists our hands so our fingers are twisted together. Hannah looks a little nervous, but Jenna looks like she's about to burst out laughing.