chapter six

song of the chapter: never say never - the fray

Aurora's POV

"Aurora, is that you?" I heard the voice on the other side of the door cry out and I immediately swallowed the massive bump in my throat. I leant against the door, taking a few breaths and steadying myself.

"It's me," I called back, before sliding my keys into the slot and twisting the doorknob open. It was extremely quiet, too quiet, and I felt myself shaking a little at the knees by just hearing her fragile voice ringing through my brain.

I stepped into the small shed that functioned as her home for the time being and slowly closed the door behind me.

I caught her ghostly silhouette in the darkness, facing towards the window and staring out into the open. I reached for the light switch and flicked it, but it didn't turn on. She sighed, picking up a matchbox, striking a match against the side and lighting up a candle situated on the windowsill. The surroundings brightened up and I could finally, but barely, make out her face.

"The light switch doesn't work." She instantly whispered and I tried not to let my eyes fill with water, pinching the skin on the back of my hand.

"Hi, Mum." I greeted her, slowly approaching her with each step. "How have you been?"

I took my seat on the chair directly next to her and she lightly smiled at me. From closer up, I could see her tiredness and dark circles underneath her eyes shining through. She looked even skinnier and gaunt since the last time I came to check up on her. It's a never-ending cycle, one day, she won't even look like my mother anymore. A stinging pain went through my heart and I couldn't help but attempt not to look at her.

Her downcast ambience made the atmosphere feel kind of frightening, but I understood. I understood everything. She was always like this when I came to visit her. "I've been alright, sweetheart. How have you been?"

"I've been okay." I chewed down on my bottom lip. "Have the Andersons been treating you well?"

"They've been treating me...well, I don't really know. They don't speak to me often. They've just been catering to me with basic amenities, you know, that sort of thing. Actually, they made a lovely roast for me yesterday."

"That's good to hear, I'm so happy they haven't found you yet."

"Don't say that, Rory. I won't be found. You and I just have to stay strong throughout this, okay? Don't worry about me, I'm 100% fine. I promise." I winced at the old nickname, but I turned to her with a grin.

"I miss seeing you, Mum. I really do. I'm so sorry I haven't visited you in two weeks, just lately's been so hectic with me and my new patient, he's so troublesome...it gets on my nerves."

My mum shook her head, "I don't mind, I know being a psychiatrist is really hard on you, honey. I'm just happy you're able to fend for yourself since I can't do that anymore. Do you mind talking about this 'mystery patient'? I do like to know what's going on in your life."

I rolled my eyes, "He's a total jerk, I don't think you would even want to know about him."

"Oh, come on, Aurora, I'm your mother, I deserve to know." She commanded, wearing a smug look on her face. I sighed, but chuckled straight after.

"I was just at his house, actually. His name is Harry. He suffers from bipolar disorder. He's unpredictable. He is literally the definition of a demon. Sometimes I think he's actually a pretty good person, but he completely proves that I'm wrong by doing something stupid. I honestly don't know how to change his attitude."