chapter twelve

song of the chapter: female robbery - the neighbourhood

Aurora's POV

On the drive home, I couldn't stop thinking about what had just happened.

It was like Harry was a completely different person, and I had just seen another side to him. He had finally opened up to me about why he hated the Baxters and Alex so much, just because of music and that stupid guitar.

I let out a laugh, thinking about how dumb I was for being angry at Harry for no reason. No matter how much he pissed me off, I still thought he was a good person. And after tonight, I was starting to believe it.

I couldn't imagine being in his shoes. I hadn't really and truly lost somebody that I loved - and especially not in the way that Harry had. I could tell that he genuinely loved Juliette by the way he talked about her and the way that his eyes had this brooding, absent look that I had never seen before.

All I had to do is to figure out what I should do next. We were taught that once we believed that our patient was mentally stable and was beginning to trust us, it was time to prescribe medication to them. In Harry's case, he was supposed to take lithium pills to treat his bipolar disorder.

The only problem was that he was unpredictable and I didn't want him to suffer from a drug overdose. It was too risky, and I didn't want him to get hurt. If he overdosed, it would mean that he wasn't improving and eventually, he would be taken away by the authorities.

I was even surprising myself with how much I wanted Harry to stay in my life. I couldn't bear the thought of his own life being controlled by the government. None of us knew what actually happened to those people taken away by the government, but we all know one thing for sure - none of those people have returned to tell the tale.

###

Successfully, I had gotten through my apartment block unnoticed at the ungodly hour of three in the morning. I just had to inconspicuously put the guitar back underneath Niall's bed, and pretend this entire thing had never happened.

As quietly as I could, I inserted my keys into the lock then carefully opened the front door, stepping into darkness. Niall was probably already sleeping and he was quite a deep sleeper, so it shouldn't be too much of a fuss.

I felt up the wall, trying to find the light switch to the living room, but the sound of a toilet flushing comes from the bathroom made me stop dead in my tracks.

"He's awake," I mumbled angrily to myself. "Why the hell is he awake?!"

"Aurora?" His raspy voice called out from the hallway and I wanted to crawl under a rock, then and there. It looked like I had to finally admit to him that I knew about the guitar, and I had literally just done the most illegal thing in the entire world - bringing music out in the open. "Where in the world were you?"

"Just getting a coffee down at Frank's." I called back to him, which wasn't exactly a lie. I had gone for the classic Aurora order, a Caramel Frappuccino, on the way here and it wasn't helping with the nervous jitters I was feeling in my stomach.

I could hear his footsteps coming closer, his warmth radiating like waves off his body. "At 3am in the morning?"

"Yes. You know how I am with caffeine."

His hand hovered over the light switch while I held my breath. The chandelier above us flickered for a few seconds, before illuminating the entire room with glimmering hues of yellow. 

Niall glanced back and forth from the guitar case I grabbed with one hand to my obviously guilty face. He stared at me with a blank expression on his face, communicating that I had to explain everything, pronto. "Did you spend your entire night negotiating with some high school burnout to get that?"