chapter five

song of the chapter: 400 lux - lorde

(this gif doesn't suit the chapter but it makes me nostalgic about tmh harry so shut up and let it be. harry in flannels was a blessing. he looks so good. i look like trash. nice)

Aurora's POV

I remember when everything wasn't like this. I remember when our world wasn't as broken as it was now. I remember when I went to sleep every night thinking about how lovely life was, and how I didn't regret thinking that, not one bit of it.

It was all the government's fault. They were so selfish. They wanted to build up an ideal society so that our people would live in perfect harmony, without any conflict and drama.

But what they didn't realise is that although they were trying to make things better, in the end, they were making everything worse.

Take our town for example. Our population was decreasing. The government didn't announce it upfront, but I could kind of tell. I guessed it was because of how many people they were taking away and I also figured it was because people didn't even want to reproduce, in fear that their children were going to live a life they did not - a life without a little danger.

A little danger didn't hurt. If mistakes weren't made, how would people know what was wrong and what was right?

Sure, living in a world with violence didn't seem like a world I would want to live in, but maybe the government should've taught people how to actually be nice and respectful, instead of taking away everything we loved just to make our world 'flawless'.

It was alright to have flaws, society and people included. Flaws make things realer. Flaws were the reality, and the government couldn't just pretend people and society didn't have flaws. Concealing those flaws was the easy way out. It's time people actually embraced them.

As well as the whole isolation part of the process. They've started to build up brick walls around our supposed city to isolate us from the outside, after seeing how the other cities were falling and dying.

I didn't know much about what was happening on the outside, considering that the government was keeping all of that information a secret from us, but they kept reminding us about how they were trying to salvage us and that our city was the only one left. The only city that wasn't completely crumbled to pieces.

There was something that scared me about the whole situation. They're going to build up the walls so high, which meant as time passed, the population would start to live in fear of the unknown, which was bad. Extremely bad. We wouldn't know what was out there. Even now, we don't even know what was out there.

All we knew was that the government was taking advantage of us and there was nothing we could do to stop it.

Harry pulled me away from my thoughts as he spoke up out of the blue. "Next left and the first house on the right." I assumed he was talking about his house.

"Oh. Alright." I paused, trying to find the words to say. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure?" He looked taken aback by my sudden query since we didn't really talk during the whole car ride.

I tried to keep the conversations to a minimum, mostly because I wanted to listen to the music that was on, but I was usually a quiet person anyway.

Harry just stared out the window, elbow leaning against the armrest and chin resting in the palm of his hand during the whole journey to his house.

He said that his hand was okay, too. The bleeding finally subsided, but he still yelped in pain every time he brushed his left hand against anything.