Betrayal

My arms were empty when I woke up. I fumbled in the darkness of the tent for Finch's body, but he wasn't there. I was out of the tent in a flash, eyes searching in the dark.

No sign.

I wanted to call his name, but I couldn't without waking everyone up. I figured if he had left, he didn't want to be found anyway. Did I do something wrong? I wondered.

Finch and I had made love under the stars. Hands entwined, lips hot on each other's. It felt so beautiful, his body against mine, our breathing soft and in time to the beating of our hearts. Did he not feel the same? I was certain he had, when he lay beside me and held me close, letting me explore every inch of his face and chest with my lips.

So where is he?

Alexius and Ronan were supposed to be on watch. And that's when I realised they too had disappeared. I took my gun from my belt, tiptoeing towards the clusters of trees that surrounded us. Maybe they were playing a trick on me. But this didn't feel like a game.

Something was wrong.

I heard a rustling in the trees, and pointed my gun into the shadows. And that's why I didn't expect the cloth to slam against my nose from behind.

A strong arm was gripped around my neck, a piece of sweet smelling cloth pressed to my face. I screamed and thrashed at my attacker, but I could feel my legs turning to jelly, and my body beginning to shut down. I closed my eyes involuntarily and fell asleep.

***

I woke with my head thumping. Black stars dotted my vision. I tried to move but there was something binding my legs and hands together. My face was half pressed to the ground. It took me a minute to realise I wasn't at the camp anymore. I didn't know where I was. All I could see was a colourful footpath ahead. But I could hear shuffling feet. Someone was close.

"Stop struggling," someone hissed. A familiar male voice, but one I couldn't quite place in my dizzy state.

"So I'm supposed to let you leave me here to die?" Finch. I'd know that voice anywhere. Die? Where are we? I suddenly remembered the cloth pressing over my mouth and I realised the worst. Someone wanted us gone. Dead. I heard a fist slamming into a nose, and a grunt. I squeezed my eyes shut.

"You should. You make me sick." The man spat on the floor. "And you corrupted Karissa. She wouldn't be here if not for you. Coin wanted to keep her alive, but you've turned her against Coin, against our District. You're sick."

"I'm sick? I'm not the killer. That's what you'll be soon."

"I'm not going to kill you."

"Not directly, perhaps. What's in those pods, hmm? What killing thing are you going release on to us?"

"I didn't ask. It's not my business."

"Isn't it? So our blood won't be on your hands?" A short silence followed. I tried to keep my breathing quiet. I didn't want the attacker knowing I was awake.

"Alexius. Let her go. I know how much she means to you and the team. I know you don't care about me..."

Alexius. He's betrayed us. I swallowed back the lump growing in my throat.

"I wish I could. But orders are orders. Besides. I won't get my promotion if I let either of you go."

There was a long silence. "That's why you're doing this? That's why you're betraying your leader? For a promotion?"

I recalled the way Alexius talked about making his family proud. It clicked. And it hurt. This is such a mess. One I don't think I can escape this time.