The Boy With the Blue Hair

A week of bed rest was prescribed, much to my annoyance. I knew I could train, even with one arm out of action. Still, I suppose it was nice to spend some more time with my family. Uncle Drew and my father cared for me mostly, but in the evenings, Mother would sit a while with me. I could tell she was pleased I was going on the missions, though less pleased that Coin was issuing them. Elliott didn’t speak to me. I knew he wouldn’t again until I got him a place on a mission.

 The day I returned to training, Elliott and I walked in silence to the training hall. It was weapons practise that day. In honour of Katniss Everdeen’s arrival, I supposed, we practised archery. I felt the burn in my arm as I drew back the string, the red raw new skin on my arm stretching and cracking under the pressure. I gasped a little as I released the string, wishing we’d had a better starting task to get me back in the swing. I practised a while, before noticing Coin coming into the hall. I pretended not to notice her, faking being absorbed in the training. I picked another arrow out and aimed, holding the position. She was taking her time getting to me. I held the string a moment longer, before allowing the arrow to fly, hitting the target perfectly. Elliott sniffed in the lane next to mine. He was never much good at archery.

 “Very good, Miss Verona-Grey,” Coin complimented “It’s nice to see you back on track.” She touched the raw skin of my arm and I tried not to wince in pain. For a moment, she reminded me of my brother. Seeing how far she had to go to make me squeal “I like that,” she said “Resilience.”

 I felt a hiss on the tip of my tongue, but held it in. Coin patted my shoulder.

 “I really appreciate your work on the last mission. And your…sacrifice. I’d like you to go on another trip for me. I’m giving more notice this time, I promise. That’s why I’m asking now. I don’t want your father biting my head off again.”

 I wish he would do I thought nice one, father.

 “When is it?”

 “Two days from now. I thought I’d give you some time to think it over. It’s not really a mission. It’s a trip to the Capitol. But you will have to be armed, just in case. I want you, and your team, to observe the atmosphere there. Find out how much the citizens know. If they’re clueless, we can expose President Snow, show them what he’s up to. Of course, the Capitol people are mostly clueless anyway.”

 I forced a laugh, knowing that’s the reaction she wanted. I felt Elliott glaring over at me. I swallowed.

 “You said…my team?”

 “Yes. I want you to lead it.”

 “Can I pick my own troops?”

 President Coin sighed “You want to take your brother?”

 “Yes, ma’am,” I said confidently “He’d be a valuable member on my team. We…work well together.”

 “Hmm,” she replied. I could tell she didn’t believe me. She had no reason to. Every word that had come out my mouth was a lie. I didn’t want him there. But I didn’t want to anger him, either.

 “Very well,” Coin said eventually “On your head be it if he steps out of line. I warn you. If he does anything to jeopardise the operation, neither he nor you will ever leave this District again. Understood?”

 “Understood,” I confirmed, saluting her. She left then, and I could see that Elliott had been listening by the grin on his face. He smiled at me, and I saw the girl on the other side of me go gooey eyed, thinking the rare smile was for her. I rolled my eyes. I didn’t smile back.

 Two days later, I’d picked my team. I picked strong, fast troops, ones I’d seen in training and knew I could rely on. I didn’t dare take anyone too important for fear of them being noticed, though we were forced to wear Capitol attire anyway. Coin saw us off on the hovercraft, and then, as the long journey commenced, the makeovers began. I scowled as a woman painted my eyebrows orange, adding a gradient eye shadow to my lids that looked like a sunset. My lips were painted a peach colour, and my hair was pulled back so tightly in a bun, I could feel the hairs pulling away from my scalp. I was forced into a red dress with extravagant shoulder pads, and I wobbled as I put on matching boots covered in lethal looking spikes. The stupidest part of the outfit, however, had to be the hat, which had a piece of net hanging down to cover my face so I could barely see. Someone seemed to think it was a good place to keep my gun, and had strapped it on the inside of the hat. I would have protested, but there was nowhere else to keep it out of sight. I wondered what I’d do if I actually needed it. I had images of myself ripping off the hat and the gun getting stuck. Nervous as I was, the thought actually made me smile.