Saying Goodbye

He’s going to be sick I groaned internally. Finch and I had been trying for fifteen minutes to navigate a drunken Elliott down the street, his arms lazily slung around our shoulders. It was a nightmare. That’s not even mentioning the problems we’d had getting him out the Birthday Bar. We’d had to wait at least ten minutes whilst Elliott embraced all his new Capitol friends, all equally as drunk as he was. I have to admit, his affectionate attitude unnerved me a little. He sung merrily at first, skipping down the streets, wobbling on his heeled shoes, but the cold wind was sobering him up. He turned a sickly green colour and slowed down, practically to a shuffle. Then he groaned a little and Finch discretely diverted him to the side of the street where he was violently sick all over his shoes. I wrinkled my nose. Finch was a little more sympathetic, at least. He patted Elliott’s padded shoulder awkwardly while Elliott wiped his mouth.

 “Not far now, kid,” Finch said, blue lips stretched into a garish grin. I hate his accent.

 We managed to get Elliott back to the hovercraft in one piece (the same could not be said for his shoes. One of the heels had snapped clean off.) One of the pilots helped me get him on board and undress him, putting him in pyjamas and tucking him in bed. I watched him sleep for a moment, almost fondly. Elliott was always nicer asleep than awake. As I stood to leave him in peace I caught the pilot glaring at me. I knew what he was thinking. He didn’t want Finch there. I scowled back.

 “He’s coming whether you like it or not,” I said bluntly “Remember who is in charge here.”

 The pilot said nothing, but I wasn’t waiting for an answer anyway. I stormed away to find Finch, who I’d left in the entrance to the hovercraft. To be fair to the pilot, I couldn’t expect him to trust Finch. I didn’t trust him myself. Not yet. He was one of them no matter how different he seemed. But when I caught him looking out the window at the Capitol, something inside me softened.  He was smiling, but his glass eyes were filled with tears. He realised I was there and blinked them away. I stood awkwardly, wondering if I should say something.

 “I’m fine,” Finch insisted, though I hadn’t questioned him. He could clearly tell I was worried for him. “I just…I’ll miss this place. It’s home, no matter what. I…I didn’t have a chance to say goodbye. To the city, my father. My life. Everything…it all happened so fast.””

 I shifted uncomfortably, staring at the ground.

 “You…you can go back. I mean, if you like.”

 Finch tore his eyes away from the city for a moment, mouth gaping slightly “Huh? Are you trying to get me to change my mind? To go back? I thought we had a deal.”

 “No! No, I…the others aren’t due back until morning. You…you have time. I’ll wait for you, I promise.”

 Finch looked at a loss for words.

 “I…I don’t know what to say.”

 “Then don’t say anything. Go on. Go. I won’t refuse you your last night at home.”

 Finch smiled. He approached me and lifted my hand to his mouth. A Capitol tradition, I supposed. I decided I liked it. There were tingles on my spine and his lips were soft. He left a blue lip print on my hand and a flutter in my stomach.

 “You’ve done me another kindness,” Finch said. His fingers still clasped mine “Would you accompany me? My last night here shouldn’t be spent alone.”

 I hesitated. I didn’t really want to leave Elliott on his own on the hovercraft. But then I realised how foul a mood he’d be in when he woke up. Plus, I could keep an eye on Finch, find out more about him. And I never could resist the prospect of exploring somewhere new. I nodded.