Verdict

My eyes were drooping. I sipped coffee anxiously, watching Finch sleep. I was surprised he could sleep with me watching him like that. But I wasn’t taking any chances. I’d brought him so it was my responsibility to protect the District from any threat he might bring. Not that I’d seen anything remotely threatening about his presence. When he’d fallen asleep, I checked his clothes for concealed weapons, and found nothing other than an old hair clip. Besides, Capitol citizens are dumb at the best of times, and just because Finch has a shred of common sense, it didn’t mean he was some evil mastermind plotting to kill us. I was just being paranoid. As I knew Coin and everyone else back home would be. I massaged my temples.

 This is going to be a disaster.

 And it seemed the day was going to begin as it meant to end. In chaos. A few miles from the District, Elliott burst into my room, grabbing me by the collar.

 “What the hell are you playing at?”

 “Get off me! Now!” I snarled “Or I’ll make sure Coin never lets you out of the District again!”

 “She won’t anyway! Or you! Not now that you’ve done this! Brought this abomination to our home-”

 “Hey! You listen here! This boy has an alibi! He’s innocent of any crime of the Capitol until proven guilty!”

 As though on cue, Finch stirred from his sleep, woken by our argument. Elliott let go of me, shoving me away and grabbing hold of Finch’s neck, squeezing hard. Finch choked, gasping for air and attempting to prise Elliott’s fingers away. I reached for the gun concealed under my hat and pressed the barrel to Elliott’s temple.

 “Don’t make me do it,” I said quietly.

 “You wouldn’t.”

 “Want to test that theory?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. But he was right. If I did it, what would Father say? What would Mother think of me? Besides. It’s only a Capitol boy…I was shocked at my own prejudice. You’re just as bad as your brother. Angry at myself, I was about to pull the trigger. But then in a whoosh, the air left my brother, like a deflating balloon. In a flash, I watched Finch’s palm strike under Elliott’s nose, forcing his head back onto Finch’s arm, which calmly snaked around Elliott’s neck in a headlock. Elliott struggled breathlessly and without success. I watched Finch in horror, his face still a sickening purple colour. He tried for a smile.

 “Man. Your people really don’t like me.”

 “Don’t take it personally. My brother doesn’t like anyone,” I said. It didn’t feel right to joke after what had just happened, but it made Finch relax a little.

 “So everyone else will be more welcoming?”

 “I didn’t say that,” I said. Finch nodded in understanding. This was never going to be easy, he knew that. But I think he was really beginning to see what he’d let himself in for. Elliott grunted, trying to escape in vain. Finch was strong. I called for someone to come and restrain Elliott. The on board doctor reluctantly knocked him out with a sedative and he lay limply on the bed.

 Finch opened his little suitcase out on the bed and chose some drab grey clothing. Then, with no regard for my presence, he began to undress. I averted my eyes immediately, feeling incredibly awkward. I couldn’t even leave the room without seeing him, so I had to stand there.

 “Oh. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable,” Finch said. I could hear him pulling on a pair of trousers “In the Capitol, we’re much more open. We don’t feel awkward about nudity.”