Chapter III: The Affliction of Miracles

Pietro's POV

We were given numbers. Our numbers would be called and we have to go to the experiment room. I was number 163 and Wanda was 162.

"162!"

I saw Wanda walking out of her room slowly. She looked at me.

"I love you," She mouthed and walked to the experimental room. I was scared. I was scared for her and what could happen to her. If anything bad happens to her, I don't think I'll be able to live with myself. I would've failed the promise I have made to her, to my parents, and to myself. So many thoughts were running in my mind that I almost didn't hear my number getting called. How long has it been? It was a fast process, I presumed.

I walked down the hall of an abundant amount of empty rooms. Each room held dreams waiting to be accomplished; The desire to protect Sokovia lingered.

I reached my destination. Svetlana was by the doorway with a neutral expression. "Good luck, Pietro," She said and I took one last glance at her before I entered. I saw a vibrant blue glow and then, nothing. I guess I was overwhelmed with the amount of power from the scepter that I passed out.

*

I woke up. I don't know what happened, I can't recall anything. I was in a dazed and stupor state. However, a question, along with several emotions, triggered an adrenaline rush.

"Where is my sister?!" It was more of a demand than a question. I searched around to see any signs of her. I opened a countless amount of doors until I found one with her name on it. "Sir! Calm down! This is dangerous! You're using your powers! Do not enter! Any disturbances can endanger her health!"

I refrained from opening the door and stared at the doctor with frustration. However, I failed to realize how abnormally fast I was before I felt a sharp pain, the world started to become a blur, and I lost all consciousness again.

*

I woke up in the same bed to the same room. "Sir, I beg of you to stay still and calm," The same nurse said.  What does calm even mean? What is calm? "How's my sister, Wanda Maximoff?" I muttered. "She is still asleep," The nurse said.
"Since when?"
"The experiment day."
"Fourteen months."
I furrowed my brows. "That's over a year. Have my sister and I been asleep for over a year?" Was she even alive? I abstained from saying that dreadful word.

"Well, not completely. Both of you would wake up spontaneously. She had this glow, but go back to sleep instantly! And you! You wou-"

"Anna, you are aware of our policy regarding disclosing information about our patients, right?" Svetlana walked in with her arms crossed against her chest.

"Oh, forgive me Sorokina! Patient 163 asked relentlessly about his sister," Anna replied.

Svetlana's eyes soften. "Okay, I'll let it slide this time, Anna. You're dismissed."

Anna hastened past Svetlana and closed the door, leaving Svetlana and I
alone. "Don't worry too much about Wanda. She's fine, I promise you," She assured. "How do you feel?"

"I feel like everything is too slow for me and my thoughts are all over the place. I kinda feel dizzy and I'm getting a headache," I said. "What?" Svetlana managed to utter as she gaped. I furrowed my eyebrows and repeated what I said. "I have no idea what you just said. Talk slower."

So I did. She ruminated for awhile before coming up with a conclusion. "I think you have developed superhuman physical and mental speed but it's an early diagnose so take it with a grain of sand," She said, "We'll have to work on it. Just rest, let your body adjust to it."
Her hand was on the door knob when I asked, "Why do they call you Sorokina?"

Without looking at me, she said, "Because it's my last name, Svetlana Sorokina. As for the headache, I'll fetch a doctor."