Lucas

After the speeches, we gather around the newly weds as they get ready to eat cake. Katie shoves it in Shawn's face, and he laughs while chewing. When it's his turn, he takes the cake and puts it in Katie's mouth, then smears it across her face. She laughs, and they kiss, both of them covered in cake. 

Katie stands up, turns around, and throws her bouquet into Maya's surprised arms. She blushes, looking at me. Up next is Shawn, and he gently takes off the garter, and I see him wink at me. He mouths "Be good to my step daughter." I nod, and he throws it directly at me. The audience goes wild and the next thing I know, I'm dancing with Maya, while Katie and Shawn dance next to us. Everyone else is gathered in a circle, watching us. 

"So I guess we're up next to be married." Maya slaps my arm. 

"No we're not!" I hold up the garter, and look at the bouquet in her hands. 

"Obviously it was meant to be."

She rolls her eyes at me, and the rest of the wedding goes by in a blur. I only see Maya. She smiles as she watches her parents, blushes whenever she sees me looking at her, laughs with Riley, and bites her lip as she watches her parents drive away to their honeymoon. 

I hug her close to me. "What's wrong? They just got married, they're just going on a honeymoon."

"I know. But what if they don't come back? What if they forget about me?"

"The won't. It's only for two weeks. And besides we get to start high school! We have almost every class together, and we share a locker. What can possibly go wrong?!"

She smiles and nods, wiping the tears off her cheeks. "Okay. Thanks Lucas."

I kiss her and take her back to her apartment. As I ride the subway home, I can't stop thinking about how beautiful she was tonight. The way she smelled, like flowers in the springtime. I fall asleep with her in my head.