Epilogue: Maya

I've been stuck in the hospital for three weeks now. Riley, Farkle, and Lucas come to visit me after school, and stay with me until night time. I feel really bad, making them stay with me, but it's their choice to be here. They chose to stay with with me. 

Corey comes after school with Riley, Farkle, and Lucas. Topanga comes with Auggie and Ava around four.Topanga and the kids stay till about seven. They're the only ones who come though. Every one else stopped coming by about two weeks ago. 

In these three weeks, I haven't managed to open my eyes. It's like theyre glued shut. Though I try hard every day when my friends are here, they never open. I try and communicate to them mentally. Try to tell them how hard I'm trying to open my eyes for them. They don't seem to notice though. At least they talk to me. And that the tears have stopped. Well except for Lucas and occasionally Riley. 

Poor Lucas. He cries every time he sees me in this stupid bed. It's really sad to hear. His sobs, as he holds my hand and tells me he's so sorry and how it's all his fault. Oh how I wish I could tell him it has nothing to do with him. 

Today's conversation with him is different from what it usually is. He sits down by me, holding my hand, sniffing from his crying as usual. 

"Maya, I got you this. It's a necklace. While it may not seem like much, it has a lot more value than you think. I got it from a Chinese shop on 36 avenue. It has a symbol on it that  says, "Live Long and Prosper. I took it to a church, and got it blessed. It's blessed with health, long life, goodness, love, and happiness. I hope it works. I hope it will help you open your eyes." He says, and I feel his hands around my neck as he puts the necklace on me. 

It might be worth a try, opening my eyes. I take in a deep breath, and relax. Breathing out, I softly open my eyes to see Lucas looking at me, and our eyes meet. He takes in a surprised gasp. "Maya."