Lucas

Maya hasn't come to first or second period. I walk into lunch, expecting her not to be there. Yet to my surprise, she's sitting at our usual table chatting with Farkle and Riley. Pulling out the chair next to her, I sit down. 

"Hey Lucas!" She says, smiling. She kisses me and eats a bite of her lunch. 

"Hey. Where were you today?" 

"Oh, I slept in late and then Holly decided to take a walk down to the subway with me. So I had to take her back, and I missed the 10:30 stop and I had to wait. By the time I got to school, we had five minutes of class left  and I decided to go straight to lunch."

"Oh. Okay." I say.

The rest of the day passes like this, and so do the next few days. Maya's been acting differently. She won't eat lunch, claiming that she's not hungry. She wears jackets when it's 75 degrees out side, and now she's always wearing ponytails. It's Friday, and her hands are shaky as she opens her locker at the end of the day.

"Hey Maya." I say right as she opens her locker. As soon as I say that, she slams her locker shut. 

"Hey Lucas."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine why?"

"Well you're wearing jackets-"

"I always wear jackets."

"You don't eat lunch-"

"I eat a huge breakfast and drink tons of water."

"You've started wearing ponytails and you never have before."

"I've had the same hairstyle for the past three years now, I need a change."

All of her reasons make sense. I'm just being superstitious. Shrugging it off, I say, "Okay. Well see you later."

"Okay. Bye!"

Even though Maya reassured me, I'm still not completely convinced. I can tell somethings up. But what I don't have a clue.