Lucas

I don't realize I've fallen asleep until Riley is shaking me awake with tears in her eyes. Quickly I look over to Maya, but nothing's changed. She's still in a coma, and the heart monitor is beeping away.

"What's up Riley? Is everything okay?"

"It's better if you come out into the hallway. The doctors said that news like this might disrupt her sleep....you know because knowing you. You're going to freak out."

"Freak out? About what?"

"Lucas....Maya's parents heard about what happened."

"So? Isn't that a good thing? Are they on their way?"

"That's the thing... they were on their way but..."

"But what?"

"I'm so sorry Lucas!" She hugs me, sobbing into my shirt.

"Riley what's going on?"

"When Katie and Shawn heard about Maya, they tried to come as fast as they could. But their flight technician had filled it with too much gasoline, and they were flying too fast, and the engine over heated and with all the gasoline...... Every one on that plane died Lucas. Katie and Shawn are dead." 

What she says registers in my brain. Katie and Shawn...dead. Maya left an orphan, with no family left. 

"What!"

"I'm sorry-"

"HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?! WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO HER FAMILY?! MAYA'S FAMILY OF ALL PEOPLE?! CAN'T SHE HAVE A BREAK?!"

"Lucas it's not her fault."

"I KNOW ITS NOT HER FAULT!!!" I start crying, and bury my head in my hands. "But what is Maya to do? She is an orphan now? Can't you see that? We need to tell her-"

"Lucas-"

"No. We need to tell her. Or she'll flip. I know Maya."

"I know Maya too and I think it would be better if-"

"No. I'm... I ... I have to. I'd want someone to tell me if I was in her place."

I leave, and walk into Maya's room again. I pick up my guitar which Farkle brought over to me. I look at Maya, her sleeping figure. Katie and Shawn...dead. How could this happen? I loved Katie and Shawn. They always treated me like family. I remember the last words they ever said to me. "Take care of my daughter." I will. I promise I will always stay with her. I love her. 

I begin playing. The melody is slow. Sad. I look at Maya and be completely honest with her in my song.

"If you ever leave me baby. Leave some morphine at my door. Cause it would take a whole lot of medication. To realize what we used to have we don't have it anymore. There's no religion that could save me. No matter how long my knees are on the floor. Oh so keep in mind all the sacrifices that I'm making. To keep you by my side to keep you from walking out the door. Cause there'll be no sunlight if I loose you baby. There'll be no clear skies if I loose you baby. Just like the clouds my eyes will do the same if you walk away. Every day it will rain, rain, rain. I'll never be your mother's favorite. Your daddy can't eve look me in the eye. Oh. If I was in their shoes I'd be doin the same thing. Sayin there goes my little girl. Walking with that troublesome guy. But they're just afraid of something they can't understand. Ooh but little darling watch me change their minds. Yeah for you I'll try I'll try I'll try. I'll pick up these broken pieces till I'm bleeding if that'll make you mine. Cause there'll be no sunlight if I loose you baby. There'll be no clear skies if I loose you baby. Just like the clouds my eyes will do the same if you walk away. Every day it will rain, rain rain. Oh don't you say good by. Don't just say goodbye. I'll pick up these broken pieces till I'm bleeding if that'll make it right. Cause there'll be no sunlight if I loose you baby. There'll be no clear skies if I loose you baby. Just like the clouds my eyes will do the same. If you walk away. Every day it will rain, rain, rain." I let the music fade out and just look at Maya. I take a deep breath and hold her hand.

"Maya...there's something you need to know. But first I want to tell you how loved you are. You still have Riley, Auggie, Ava, Topanga, Corey, Farkle, and you will always have me. I will do anything you want me to if you stay...but Maya....your parents are dead."

I start feeling dizzy, and just as I'm about to pass out I hear the low monotone of the heart monitor. One long single beep. Maya's heart has stopped beating.

AUTHORS NOTE: Please comment if you're sad, crying, or in tears!!! 😢