1

Brooklyn

I never thought my family would move from our house. I mean, who would? It was the perfect house, just verging on being small. It was a cabin-like house on the shore. In Hawaii! But about a month ago, my parents excitedly told me and my brother that we were moving. To a rundown house. In New Jersey. To say we were disappointed is a huge understatement.

But here I found myself walking through the doors of a new school, in a new state, in a new life. And I was terrified. I went to the front desk and got my schedule, and followed the directions to my home room for this year. I walked to the back of the classroom and slung my backpack over the back of the chair and sat down.

I hate being the new kid. At my old school, everyone called each other their cousins, but here I think it's a lot different. Here's why. It's only been a few minutes and I've noticed how everyone is in a group. For example, I can guess there's a sporty group, fashionista group, nerd group, and band geek group.

I hope there's a fine arts group. And if there is, I really really hope they let me in.

I watch a girl walk into the room, her head hung and her blonde curls bouncing as she walked my way. A boy with the stupidest hair cut stuck his leg out, and she tripped over him, falling to the ground right next to me. Her books were scattered around her.

I jumped up immediately to help pick up her books, but she pushed me away and ran out of the room. Infuriated, I picked up her books and set them on the desk beside mine. I marched over to the boy who tripped her.

"What is wrong with you, lolo? Are you really that pitiful that you trip people for fun? Get over yourself." I snapped, speed walking out of the room to look for her. I looked around, wondering where she would go.

Where would I go if an idiot tripped me?

The bathroom.

I ran in the direction of the restrooms, and entered the girls'. I heard a muffled crying through the last stall, and I walked over.

-

Riley

I've had a pretty rough life. New start after new start, and this one is supposed to be the last new start. New Jersey. Yes, this place is supposed to be the last new start, and for once, I hope this lasts. I love the beach and the promise of new friends is a must, considering my friends from my old school were, well... nonexistent.

This morning, my dad woke me up late. He hasn't been that great with the whole single parenting thing since my mom left us with just a note saying, "I cant do this anymore. I love you Riley and Jason, but I can't do this." She must've been pretty disappointed to leave a 12 year old.

Even though my dad got me up late, I made it to class in time to see the last open chair. I saw the girl that I would be sitting next to for the rest of the year or quarter. Something about her seemed nice.

Suddenly, my feet were pulled out from under me, and I hit the floor. My books were everywhere. I got up and ran, I didn't know where, but I was hoping for the bathrooms. I found my way, and shut the door to the stall, crying.

Just perfect. This fresh start was doomed. I heard the door open, and I stopped sobbing and heard a voice. "Hey there, you left your books in the classroom... Wanna go back and get them? I'll come with you."

I peeked out of the crack in between the stall door and saw the same girl I was supposed to sit next to. I spoke up.

"I just tripped, that's all..."

"Okay, then let's get back to the classroom," She replied. "I'm Brooklyn, by the way."

I gave her a weak smile. "I'm Riley."