8

picture on the side of what they look like at the end of the chapter x

Riley

After we bought the snacks, we loaded all of them into the trunk of my car. I went to get in the drivers seat and Brooklyn ran up and knocked me out of the way.

"No way, not a chance, miss. First, it's night time! And second, I'm driving."

Like I was going to complain; when it came to her safety, I wasn't joking around. I climbed over onto the passenger seat, and turned on the radio.  The song Drag Me Down by One Direction was playing and it was about half way done. However, we both loved the song, so almost on cue, I blasted the radio and we started jamming out to the rest of the song.

At about 1:00 AM, we took a pit stop at Edison. We grabbed two towels, two pillows, a blanket, a bottle of water, a bottle of sprite, and some gummy worms. We bounded out of the car, after locking it, and down towards the water.

I climbed up to the top of the lifeguard stand and Brooklyn threw the stuff up to me. She began to climb up too, but ended up scared to climb all the way. She kept asking questions and saying it was going to collapse.

I was laughing, but I helped pull her up.  I laid the two towels and pillows down, put the snacks in the middle, and the blanket over our feet.

The moon loomed over the water and it just looked so beautiful. It's reflection shone on the water and I couldn't help but feel like it was a date. We starting talking about the next road trip destinations, and then I remembered that we left Teddy in the back of the car by accident.

"Brooklyn, we forgot Teddy was asleep in the car!" I screeched, tossing off the blanket. She freaked but I explained to her that he had only been in there for about twenty minutes, so he should be okay.

It was quiet for a while, and then, I don't know what really came over me but I started to lean over towards Brooklyn's face. Our lips met for the second time, we both were confused but neither of us stopped.

It was perfect, more perfect than any picture perfect date in any picture perfect movie; We knew it was meant to happen.

Even though it was perfect, we sat there in an awkward silence for a few more minutes.

-

Brooklyn

I reached my hand up slowly, and ran my index finger along my lips.

I didn't know what to say.

"U-Uh, I should probably go get Teddy." I muttered, beginning to climb down. "Brooklyn, wait!" She yelled. I looked up at her, my heart fluttering with hope.

"You forgot the keys." She tossed me the car keys.

"Oh, thanks." I mumbled, heading back to the car. I unlocked the door, and Teddy was waiting for me. He yipped and barked happily as I scooped him up. "Hey buddy," I cooed, grabbing a leash from the car seat. I hooked it to his collar, and set him down.

He instantly walked over to a bush, and peed. "Ew, come on." I tugged the leash, and he followed me over towards the ocean. He dashed through the sand as I watched fondly.

Once Teddy and I walked over to the lifeguard stand, I smiled. "Riley, I got him!" No response. "Riley?" I frowned, and climbed up. She was gone.

I felt this sickening feeling in my stomach, and I quickly attached Teddy's leash to the stand. "I'll be right back, Teddy!" I ran down to the ocean. "Riley!" I screamed, looking desperately up and down and left and right.

"Riley!" I called, a lump starting to form in my throat. What if she got kidnapped? Or murdered? What if she drowned? What if she left me here and took the car back home?

Suddenly, I felt a hand cover my mouth and an arm grab my waist. I kicked and tried to scream, before I heard Riley's laugh. She let go of me, and I turned around to face her.

I looked at her with tears in my eyes. "SCREW YOU!" I screamed, then burst into giggles. "You are a terrible human being." I mumbled, trying to catch my breath.

She gave me a charming grin, and hugged me. I hugged back really tight; "I thought I lost you." She let go and looked me in the eyes. "You'll never lose me. I'm sorry," She grabbed my hand.

"Come on."

We walked back to the lifeguard chair, and Riley suddenly ripped her shirt off. "W-What are you doing?" I asked, not able to stop myself from staring. "Going swimming, duh."

She pulled down her jean shorts and tossed her clothes onto the lifeguard chair. I hesitated before pulling my romper off, and placing it by her clothes.

Riley wore a black bikini top with straps that wrapped around below her chest and tied in the back, with pink palm tree bottoms that didn't provide much coverage if you know what I mean.

I wore a white lace bikini top that was made to look like a bra, with white lace bikini bottoms that had a rouche in the back.

She looked at me, and grabbed my hand, tugging me over to the water. She plopped down where the ocean just barely licked the sand, and I did the same. We lay on our backs for a long time, in silence. It wasn't an awkward silence for once, it was peaceful.

We lay there until the sun started to rise. All I remember was watching her watch the colors appear in the sky, thinking to myself that she was prettier than the breathtaking sunrise.

I watched her until I fell asleep.