Serena

Desdemona, Iago,Cassio and Othello. The names of all the characters pop into my head one by one. I can't believe they did that for me. I love those girls. I open the front door and all the joy I had momentarily disappears when I remember I'm all alone. There's a note on the fridge.

Had an urgent meeting I'll be back before the holidays end - dad

Gone again like always dad. Work is more important than your daughter I guess. It's not like I expected him to be home, I just thought he'd at least put more effort in his note this time, lately all his letters have been a copy paste of mediocrity. Alone again I guess. I wish mom was here. The thought of her brings back a sudden onslaught of memories.

She's right there in the kitchen,bags in hand. She looks at me like she'll never see me again. She kisses me on my cheek, her lips smelling of cherry as she tells me to go upstairs. I hear the door open and dads voice yelling from downstairs,"You're a useless whore." I hear my mom crying and screaming . I run down the stairs to see her running out the door and stepping into the car. Three hours later daddy and I are watching the news when we see mum on the TV. Her body looking pale and limp hanging from a tree. Blood pouring beneath her blouse from where dad cut her days ago..i gusss the wound reopened.

I blink away the tears. Be strong Rena, you are strong.

*******

Two more hours. I hear the hoot of Claire's mom's car. I close my diary throw it on my bed, I close the blinds and turn on my lamp then leave my room squealing like a three year old. I go out and hug all the girls one by one. Claire climbs in the front seat next to her mom. Callista an Tatiana climb in the seats by the boot, it's a space car with plenty of space. Jess climbs in the back seat and before I climb in to join her I notice the green VW beetle park outside my house.

Maybe he's lost. I walk over and wait by the drivers windows, he rolls the windows down and I can barely see his face hidden in that dark hoodie. I'm a little scared and ask him what he's doing at this house he chuckles, his warm laugh filling up the void of silence I created. He tells me he had to stop to make a call and ask for directions. I hop in the car as the mystery man waves goodbye

Damn I can't believe I was so scared. Crime has risen in this area so I guess my fear is justified. But I still can't believe society has made me fear the common man so much.

Jess looks at me and asks what the situation was all about. I tell her it was nothing and she shrugs it off. Claire's mum asks if I forgot anything. I tell her that I have all I need and with that off we go. Othello here we come.

A fun night with my girls await. The perfect plan for the first Friday night of the holidays. This week may not be all that bad.