Serena

Ten minutes in and my lungs were already dying. How does Hunter do this everyday without collapsing. I feel like my throat is on fire, burning like a braai. I could really go for some braai meat right about now. Jeez Rena no self control. I need be loosing weight. Working on getting my tummy tight and booty juicy. Summer is coming and I want to make Hunter a happy boy. Come on you can do it. One foot follows the other.
I can't keep my pace any longer so I begin to slow down. That's when I hear it for the first time. Footsteps. I look back to see who is running behind me but I see nobody. I guess it must just be my imagination...

I continue down the familiar streets of pretoria. Running through the groenkloef area. Past the gym. Past the schools. I notice one school in particular today and as I pass this school I see a beautiful sight. I see jerseys of green, red stripes too. A rugby ball and the towering score. I slow down and think to myself. What a wonderful team. What a wonderful school.

On my slow jog back home I stop to tie my shoelaces and once again I hear footsteps. I look back and yet again there is nobody. I swear I heard footsteps. I must be going crazy. I continued home, looking back every second or so. That was weird. The shadows seem to be growing. I run fast. Faster than I ever have before. I fear for my safety. I hear the footsteps behind me increase. I look back once again and still there is nobody. Holy cow this is scary. I think I'm becoming a paranoid person. I'm becoming just like my mother. I remember what she was like when my father wasn't home, always locking the doors. She was scared he'd come back out of the blue just to hit her again and again and again. He is a sick man. I was still afraid of him to this day. Anytime I see him put on his belt. I think what if he starts again. Mom escaped into the world of the dead but I have nowhere to go. I still have things I want to do. The scar on my back itches at the mere thought of him. I run faster, almost as if to outrun the voices of my past.

One more minute of running and I would have passed out. I can't believe it's already five. I go for a quick shower and check my phone when I get out. It's a Whatsapp message from Frances. She just reminded me of something very important. Tonight is night of the proms at some all girls school near Loftus, and I promised Tatiana I would go watch her perform tonight. Tickets are sold out so I can't invite Frances I text back reply back telling her we will hang out again tomorrow and quickly get dressed in a tight purple top, black skinny jeans and my favourite coat.

I call Kris to come pick me up, he is one of Hunters friends but we've gotten pretty close. He's a dark skinned scrawny basketball player. He's a nice guy but very single. His friends call him Han since he is always Solo. He gets here at Six and tells me to get a move on, Shannon and Hannah are gonna meet us at there at six thirty. Shannon is another one of Hunter's friends I've grown to love. She's a varsity student at Tuks and is like the big sister I never had. Hannah is one of my friends from primary school. She's my age and is an adorable blonde. I wouldn't mind trading bodies with her for a day.

So Kris and I meet Han and Shan at the school and we all enter at the same time. Immediately heading for the stands at the back.
I look around and see all of my friends in the Orchestra; the lovely and Elegant Deirdre, the honest and caring Lorraine, the bundle of joy Abigail, the queen of sass Bella and there is Tatiana waving back at us.

The show begins with the Orchestra playing the opening song of Superman. Not a bad start. The evening doesn't look like it will be half bad.
The show keeps going at a good pace, the Orchestra is slowly getting into a good rhythm. I see Tatiana bobbing her head so slightly almost as if she is a fish out of water.
Then the show took a turn for the worse. The singing began. The girl who sang in afrikaans sang like a baby angel but the girl after her was terrible. She butchered one of my favourite songs. Oh my gosh she sounded like a wailing dolphin trying to find her mate. Who told her she could sing? Shannon looks at me and says,"Shitty dress and a shitty performance. I would have more fun licking my feet." Her performance ended and the hall was filled with silence as the audience tried to regain what little sanity they had left.

I began singing my Disney songs once again, hoping to clear my mind of that performance," Humuhumunukuuapua'a makahiki malahini, who." Hannah looks at me and joins along," Humuhumunukuuapua'a ooh Hawana waka waka waka nikki poo poo poo." Hannah and I keep talking about High school musical and Disney movies, we even made plans for a Disney movie marathon. Then out of the blue Shannon starts raging about the people on their phones. Jeez how could people be so rude? The show goes on and some traditional songs are sung by the junior choir so, obviously the African parents would yell "yelelelelelele" Every ten minutes and every time they did i would say," Woo go Shannon."
The show was beginning to drag on so when the next singing group went on I was already feeling sleepy. I wonder who would be singing in next?

The next group went on and my stomach came all the way to my throat. It was the wailing whale once again. Kris let out a heavy breath and I started laughing so hard that tears were running down my cheeks. Oh my word how could they let her sing. After she left the show went on rather well and when it ended Kris's parents were waiting for us. We said our quick goodbyes and ran to the car. On our way there I saw a creepy guy in a hoodie watching me. Ew, hell no step back creep. Kris and I got in the car and headed home.

I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched, like mother like daughter I guess. I got home and thanked Kris and his parents for the lift and entered my house. I open the door and look back to see the green VW beetle driving at my house. Is he following me? No that's unlikely, if he were he'd be more sneaky. It's probably just my mind. It's kinda like when you hear a new word and suddenly it's everywhere.

I close the door behind me take off my clothes and get into bed in nothing but my underwear. I'm far too tired to get dressed. Ten minutes go by and my eyelids are heavy. Sleep I shall accept your warm embrace.