Chapter 1

I pulled open the door to our new apartment. Boxes still lined the walls. I had been gone a week to finish my post-deployment evaluations; yet Jacob had not emptied a single box. I sighed as I plopped lazily onto the couch and propped my feet up on a box.

As if on cue, Jacob walked into the room and tossed something at my face. "What the..." I pulled it away from my face and unfolded it. It was a grey sweatshirt the read "I bust mine to kick yours!"

"Where did you find this?"

Jacob shrugged. "Found it in a box."

I looked at him as he dropped on the couch. "What one?"

He nodded over to the door where a single box was open. "Over there, but I don't think it matters that much.

I shot up off the couch and slid down in-front of the box.I checked all the flaps until I found the one that was labeled. It read "Connor". I stared at it for a moment before re-closing it.

"Anyway." Jacob stated. "Let's get unpacking, lazy."

I chuckled. "Yeah, I'm the lazy one." I shoved a box labeled "kitchen" into his lap and picked up one for myself.

He smirked at me and we started to work.

*6 hours later*

All of the boxes were finally unpacked. Well all minus a few odd and ends. I dropped the last of the broken down boxes unto the pile by the door and checked the time. It was 1:03 am.

I sighed and collapsed on the couch. I start my new job at NCIS tomorrow. Well today actually. I closed my eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep.

*5:30 am*

I woke up to a screeching alarm and jumped off the couch, my senses on high alert. There was a groan from Jacob's room, lucky for him we managed to get his bed together, and then a thud. The alarm stopped. "Alex! Get up!"

"I am up, you twit!" I yelled back at him.

He chuckled. There was another thud and then he yelped. "Son of a ...!" He limped into the living area and straight into the kitchenette.

"Coffee?" I asked him groaning.

"Yeah." He replied. "What kind? Well do you want any?" He corrected himself.

"No." I stated plainly, pouring a glass of orange juice. I do not like coffee. Our father always smelled of booze and coffee. Hence no coffee and no alcohol.

He shrugged and put enough in the pot for himself. I walked to the back of the apartment to my room and changed into a grey pant suit. I don't wear skirts or dresses. I sat on my chair and pulled on my black converse all stars. I was not going to be chasing suspects in heels or flats. Not that I will be doing so anytime soon. For all I know I will be doing desk work.

I got up off the chair when I heard the clacking of nails. Could it be? I popped my head out of my door and saw Jacob pay a woman $50.00. In her hand was our dogs. Jacob's black German Shepard, Deek, and my normal German Shepard, Mason. Their nails echoed off of the hardwood floor as they danced in their spot. Eager to explore their new home.

Now I know you are wondering why he is paying this woman and why she has our dogs. The reason is simple. We needed someone to watch them until we found and got settled into our new apartment. We needed to find one that was nice and allowed pets.

The woman is Shannon Moore. One of Jacob's Naval friends. She tried to refuse being paid but Jacob insisted. Shannon gave him the two leashes and said goodbye. She had to go to work. The moment Jacob closed the door behind her, he took off the leashes and the dynamic duo took off. Skittering and slidding all over the floor. We didn't have hardwood flooring before. So this was a new experience for them.

I stepped into the living area and ruffled Mason's ears when he scampered over to me. I wanted to give him more attention, but I had to leave. It was already 7:00 am. I shoved my phone into my pocket that was hidden in my suit jacket and threw my messenger bag onto my shoulder. I don't use purses.

"Sorry, boy. I gotta go. Jacob!"

"Yeah?" The reply came from his bedroom.

"I gotta go. Tell Richard hi for me."

"Will do!" Richard is Jacob's Naval co-worker.

I slipped out of our apartment and jogged down the stairs. Not even bothering with the elevator.