fourty five

fourty five.

My back was against Daryl's chest, his arm around my shoulder. I could've almost fallen asleep right were I was but Sasha stomped back into the church with some things to say after searching outside for Bob who'd been missing for a hot minute.

"Stop," she demanded. Gabriel stopped cleaning and turned around to face her. "This is all connected: you show up and we're being watched, now one of us is gone."

"I don't have anything to do with this," Gabe promised with sincerity. Sasha took out her knife, gripping it tight in her hand. Gabriel jumped back, a few surprised outbursts erupting throughout the church.

"Where's Bob," she asked him angrily.

"I-I don't have anything to do with this," he sputtered. Rick pushed himself in front of Sasha, coming face to face with the Father.

"Why'd you bring us here," Rick growled. "You working with someone?"

"I'm alone! I was always alone!" Gabriel raised his voice in fear.

"What about the woman in the food bank, Gabriel? What did you do to her? You'll burn for this? What are you gonna burn for, Gabriel?" Rick ambushed the Father, pushing him up against a piece of furniture. "What did you do," he yelled. Daryl's arm tightened around me. He positioned himself at the edge of his seat, ready to fight if need be.

"I lock the doors at night! I always lock the doors at night," Gabriel cried out. "Atlanta was bombed the night before they started coming. They were scared and looking for a safe place, but it was so early and the doors were still locked. There were so many of them! They were banging on the sidings, screaming at me... so the dead came for them." He paused, shifting his focus to us sitting in the pews. "Women, children, entire families calling my name as they were torn apart, begging me for mercy and damning me to hell! I buried their bones; I buried it all and now the Lord has finally sent you here to punish me!" Gabriel dropped to the ground in devastation. "I'm damned," he sobbed loudly. Sasha relaxed, tucking her knife away in her pocket.

"There's someone outside laying in the grass," Glenn notified us. We all hustled outside to discover Bob lying a few feet from the steps, his left leg missing.

"Bob," Sasha shrieked. Biters were wandering towards us in the distance.

"Get him inside," Glenn ordered. Sasha cried as Tara assisted her in carrying Bob. I ran after a biter, pulling out my sword and slicing its head down the middle. I sliced another one's head clean off, stabbing it in the brain when it hit the ground. I scanned my surroundings. The coast was clear, Daryl stabbing the last monster. I ran inside after him, Rick closing the doors as soon as I entered. The group huddled around Bob who was sprawled out in the aisle.

"I was sitting in the graveyard and somebody knocked me out," he breathed heavily. "I woke up outside this place... it looked like a school. It was that guy, Gareth, and five other ones. They were eating my leg right in front of me like it was nothing," Bob paused, groaning.