fourty nine

fourty nine.

As we stood there in silence and nervous anticipation, something ran through the grass and hit a tipped over trashcan on the side of the road. The sound made me jump and raise my weapon at the unidentified object, Daryl shooting his crossbow at it. He snatched it up just as the gate rolled open. It was a possum.

"We brought dinner," Daryl said to the guy standing at the gate, thrusting it towards him. He looked at Daryl with disgust. I smirked at his reaction. To hell with first impressions, we've been through this shit too much. None of us gave a damn anymore. Besides, I could tell he was sheltered. It was comical that he was looking at us like we were insane when we were looking at him the same way, freshly clothed and all clean shaven and shit.

"Come on in." Aaron motioned for us to follow him into Alexandria as Daryl went to hold the possum out to me. I shoved my sword back in its sheath and took it without hesitation, slyly grinning at what the guy at the gate could possibly be thinking about the two of us. I bet it was hilarious. Daryl grabbed my free hand and held it in his, his grip tight.

"Before this goes any further, I need you to turn over your weapons," the guy informed us. "If you stay, that's the rule."

"We don't even know if we wanna stay," Rick fired back at him.

"It's fine, Nicholas," Aaron whispered to the guy who continued to awkwardly eye us. "Let them talk to Deanna first."

"Who's Deanna," Abraham questioned from the back of the clump, saying what we all were thinking out loud. I learned he tended to do that frequently.

"Our leader. She knows everything you'd want to know about this place. Rick, why don't you start," Aaron offered. "Since you're the leader of your group, it'd be best for the two of you to meet first." An approaching biter began to snarl from outside the gate.

"Sasha," Rick queued her to flex his command. Sasha swiveled around and shot the biter without question. "It's a good thing we're here," Rick mumbled arrogantly, smirking as he sauntered over to Deanna's house.

"If you continue to follow me, I'll show you the houses you'll be staying in," Aaron smiled with excitement as we kept walking down the street, the people who were outside their homes staring at us in a state of slight disgust and disbelief. I wasn't gonna lie, this place was beautiful but it felt like such an odd and sheltered utopia that I wasn't sure if I was gonna like it here. "Here we are. You guys can choose any house you want on this block." Aaron motioned to the cute little modern houses that sat before us. My heart skipped a beat, a grin spreading across my face. Daryl and I could have our own house all to ourselves. Was this what DC was supposed to be like?

"Which one do you want so we can pretend to be real adults again," I asked Daryl, nudging him playfully. Daryl shrugged his shoulders, biting his lip as he thought for a little bit.