Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

"Sir, the PI you requested is waiting in the conference room for you." Roarke glanced away from his computer monitor long enough to give a curt nod to his assistant and grab his phone. He stood and hurried over to the conference room adjoined to his office. When his parents had begun to question his sanity at his insistence that Mia was still alive and missing, he had taken it upon himself to find out what the hell was going on. He couldn't be going crazy; he had too many memories of his sister, and he had no doubts of her existence. But he was wavering because his own research had come up with zilch. The last information available of hers was her funeral. He had not dared look at the single picture his parents had taken of that supposed day. He refused to believe that his twin sister had been dead for the past fourteen years.

"Mr. Michaels." Roarke greeted the private investigator as he stepped into the conference room. Tim Michaels was a small man with a receding hairline and clear, sharp blue eyes. He was dressed business casual, save for his worn in sneakers. Still, he was presentable enough, and Roarke hardly cared if the man had new shoes or not. He shook Roarke's hand and took a seat when prompted to.

"My assistant informed me that you were vague on details. But she mentioned that your matter was urgent." Tim spoke as he pulled out a small notepad and pen.

"I have heard that you are one of the best investigators to be found these days." Roarke began. He took a seat at the opposite side of the man and neared his chair a bit close. "So I do expect discretion is one of your valued points in your field."

"I wouldn't have a reputation as good as you've mentioned if that wasn't the case." Tim responded.

Roarke nodded. "The relative I want you to investigate is believed to be dead. But I happen to think otherwise in that regard."

Tim took notes as Roarke spoke, his expression giving nothing away. Roarke gathered the man had heard everything in his lifetime as an investigator to be surprised or shocked by anything. "I will need details on his or her person. Date of birth, dental records, you know the drill. Since you're a relative, I assume you will have this information at the ready for me."

"Can't you find it yourself?"

Tim looked up at him briefly and grinned. "This will quicken the investigation, sir. You want me to find out where your relative is in a prompt manner, that'll even the odds."

Roarke agreed. "I also need you to investigate one more person. I think he will be the key to finding my sister."

Tim's brow lifted and his hand stilled on the notepad he was scribbling on just a second ago. He lifted his head to make eye contact. "Sister?"

Roarke nodded curtly. "Yes my sister, Mr. Michaels. I need you to find her. And I need you to find out everything you can about a certain Nicholas Bateman."

This is wrong, Mia thought as she kissed Death just as demandingly as he kissed her. The whole situation was wrong, he was wrong. What was wrong with her?

With a strength she didn't know she possessed, she pushed him away and speed-walked away in the direction that led to her room. She didn't look back, nor did she stop until she reached her door and banged it shut. She was shaking and breathing heavily; her chest was rising and falling at a fast pace, and her lips were tingling.

She shivered uncontrollably as she leaned her weight onto the door, staring into nothing. Why had she let that happen?

She was supposed to hate him!

You're a fool, her subconscious snickered. She moved away from the door, her shaking becoming increasingly rapid. She rushed into the restroom and turned on the hot water full blast. Without removing her nightie, she stepped under the hot spray and squealed when it hit her freezing skin. For the first few moments, it felt like needles were jabbing consistently all over her flesh, until finally she could actually feel the heat of the water, and she adjusted the temperature so that she wouldn't actually burn herself.

She slipped the nightie off and washed herself promptly, scrubbing a little harder than necessary on the parts of her body his hands had touched.

Once she finished, she dried herself and dumped the nightie into a trash bin. She would never wear it again. She brushed her teeth quickly and left the restroom.

She donned a wife beater and long johns, and slipped into bed. She wouldn't be able to sleep, not with the replay of the events that had unfolded moments ago. She rubbed her hand over her face in frustration. Her emotions were everywhere and unmanageable! She wished she could just wake up from this dream.

She threw a pillow over her face and shrieked in distress at the memory of his lips on hers.

Lupin walked with his head bowed into his master's office. He tucked at the hem of his hood, as if to make sure it would not fall off. He stopped just a few feet away from the large desk in the office and bowed. "Master."

"I will be gone for a few days, Lupin." Came the baritone sound from his master, but what surprised Lupin was the slight change to the usual monotone of the voice. He tilted his head up a bit, not enough to reveal his face, but far enough so that he could spare a glance at his master. He was rooted behind his desk, and he was cradling something in his hands. But his face was not spare of emotion as it always was. No, his master displayed something odd, as though he was troubled. Lupin did not like it.

"Will you want to me to accompany you, my lord?" Lupin blurted.

Death shook his head, not bothering to look at him. "My duty does not require companionship, as you are aware."

Lupin let out a small sigh of relief. So his master was going to see to his charges. "How long will you be gone for, master?"

"I have neglected my work much longer than necessary. I do not make predictions as to when my return will be." He spoke. He set down the item in his hand, one that Lupin recognized and grew annoyed with instantly: Ms. Stanton's camera. "But be ready, as my return will be unexpected."

Lupin bowed his head down and said, "Of course, lord Death."

He was only greeted with silence, and he could only assume that he was dismissed at that point. He made to leave the room, but was stopped by his master.

"Lupin, guard the human." He commanded. "Make sure no harm comes to her."

Lupin nodded. "I understand, my lord." He hesitated from leaving the room. He it would be out of line, but his master was not acting like himself at all and it was worrying him greatly. "Master... if I may speak boldly?"

Death nodded, his eyes cast on the camera sitting before him.

Lupin swallowed and took in a breath for courage. "You have made a change that cannot be ignored. Soon, many will recognize that you are different... Is the human the cause of this?"

Death's eyes leveled his, and Lupin felt trapped. Lord Death very rarely made eye contact with him. These were one of the rare occasions, and it was stifling as he was magnificent.

"Change you ask?" Death muttered. Lupin could only nod, as he had forgotten how to speak.

For a moment, his master seemed to actually consider answering him. But then his face became a blank canvas of expression, and he turned away. "There is no change. Go now."

Lupin dashed out of there as reverently and promptly as he could.