Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11

Eris watched the human as he took a swig of his drink. His body seemed relaxed to the untrained eye. But she could see right through the façade. He was troubled, so troubled that even anger and near violent intentions vibrated from his being. She relished it.

Eris herself sat at the end of an elegant and nearly empty restaurant. She sipped her wine and watched, both fascinated and curious of the creature before her. Why had her minions not mentioned his existence before?

He was perfect, the missing piece to her puzzle. And she wasn't about let him slip through her fingers.

Placing a perfectly manicured hand on the surface of the table she occupied, she pushed herself up and glided through the restaurant to where he sat. She felt eyes fall upon her in all directions, but she only had eyes for one.

"Mr. Stanton. "

Roarke glanced up and felt his heart drop at the sight before him. A woman dressed in a green dress stood with sunglasses over her eyes and an icy smile. The woman's flaming auburn hair was held up in a chignon, with a few curls loose around her heart shaped face. The woman was gorgeous and so unearthly that everything seemed unworthy of her. She didn't even belong in the ridiculously expensive restaurant that he was currently in.

Roarke stood and took her hand, giving it a firm shake before indicating for her to sit opposite of him. Once she took her seat, he sat down and tried not to shift as much. He suddenly felt uneasy.

"You're Erin McLane?" he asked. Had his voice raised a notch?

Her smile widened. "Just Erin. I hope I did not keep you waiting for too long."

"Not at all." Just twenty three minute. "I appreciate your taking the time to meet me on such short notice."

She inclined her head. A waiter appeared immediately and took her order of a drink, and she turned her attention to him.

"Tim has filled me in on the details of your sister's disappearance. But it seems that he is having a hard time digging up any information." She said casually.

Roarke blinked and cleared his throat when he didn't respond immediately. "I, uh, was assured that Mr. Michaels would be one of the best investigators in his field."

"Yes, he has an impeccable reputation to be sure. Certain talents of his have led him to where he is today." She replied. "But in this, he falls short. This is why I am here."

Roarke narrowed his gaze on her, his uncomfortable state forgotten at the moment. "And what do you do exactly that Tim Michaels can't?"

Erin McLane smiled coyly, her glasses hiding her eyes. The waiter suddenly appeared with her drink and set it before her. Roarke waved him off when he asked if he needed anything.

Erin took a sip of her wine and leaned back on her seat. The emerald green dress she wore tightened a bit around her breasts area, and Roarke noticed immediately. The dress covered her, and it was a modest piece. But her breasts were nicely shaped and rounded, and it was difficult not to shift his attention to them. Suddenly he was distracted and uncomfortable once more.