Chapter Twelve

Chapter 12

            "My lady, he is here!"

            Eris' brow arched when she caught sight of her very anxious looking servant. Her eyes moved from her to the one being she loathed more than anything. She felt herself stiffen as she lay on her duvet, but she forced her muscles to relax. A coy smile appeared on her face, and she waved her useless servant away and she stood to her feet.

            "Why, Death! How interesting to have you in my home. Tell me, were you bored down under?"

            "Eris, sit." He commanded.

            Normally she would have replied with a snide remark, but she didn't have a death wish just yet. Not when she was so very close to her revenge. Gritting her teeth, she folded herself into a sitting position and sighed. "I'd offer you a chair, but I don't want to."

            "I haven't come to converse with you." He said in that annoying dead voice of his. "Lupin has told me that you sent your servants to attack him and a guest of mine. Should I assume he is lying?"

            Eris chuckled and waved her hand in dismissal. "Is that what this is about? Well, there's no need to worry over it. I punished the ring leader."

            "Answer the question."

            Eris shrugged. "I have nothing to hide in that regard, old brute. If you have a complaint, take it to my father- ah!"

            Without lifting a finger, Death held a death grip on her throat and raised her in the air. She couldn't move her limbs, and her air supply was cut off. Her eyes met his black ones. He looked completely tranquil, but those obsidian eyes sparked with something.

            "Release me!" she choked out. She released a surge of power from her body that blew past him. The walls cracked and shook at the force of her power, and the marble pillars holding her temple shook viciously as they had taken a bigger hit. Pieces of marble fell to the floor. He didn't even blink.

            "Was Lupin lying?" he repeated in a calm voice, despite the commotion that surrounded them.

            Eris bubbled with laughter, despite the fact that Death had a grip on her throat. She in no way found the situation at hand funny,  but the anger simmering below the calm facade... now she knew for certain that she really had him. And she was happy, ecstatic even. To have Death come to her meant that she was doing something right. She was closer to her goal more than ever.

            "Eris..."

            "Release me, you old pile of dust." She managed to wheeze in between laughter and fits of cough. "There's no need for violence."

            "Then answer."

            Her laughter slowly subsided to giggles and she met his eyes when she sneered, "He lied."

            She felt his power abandon her person, and she fell into a heap at her floor. She cleared her throat and coughed before looking up at him with a smile.

            "Lying to me is not wise." He said softly. His black eyes sparkled with rage, and she reveled in it.

            "Oh I'm not lying." She breathed deeply and exhaled before lifting herself off the floor.       "I never sent those goons to attack your little boyfriend and his friend. I wasn't even aware that they had done so until they arrived here."