Chapter Six

Chapter Six

            Oh god, oh god.

            Those words kept replaying in her head as he finished speaking to her. She closed her eyes to shut out her vision of him and willed him to disappear. After a moment, when she didn't hear his voice, she dared to pop one eye open. She groaned when she saw him standing there while still watching her. "Damn it." she whispered.

            "You are taking this much better than you were a few minutes ago." he told her.

            Mia remained still. To him she probably seemed composed, but internally she was screaming and running around in circles. She couldn't think straight, her thoughts were a huge mess. She wanted very badly to speak with authority and kick him out, but she didn't have the will or courage. How did she tell Death to get the hell out of her home, when he was there to kill her? No, no, not kill necessarily. He didn't mention that if she recalled. Well he wanted something! Whatever Death wanted from her could not be good.

            Maybe, if she played this well she could get out of it. She could be manipulative, if need be. She mentally rolled her eyes. Who was she kidding; she couldn't talk herself out of a parking ticket for crying out loud. Not that she had ever tried. She always accepted the fine, even when all she wanted to do was rip that offending paper-

            No, focus Mia! Her subconscious ordered.

            "What are you thinking?" he asked her. She couldn't tell if he was suspicious or just curious. He gave nothing away.

            She cleared her throat and took in an encouraging breath before speaking. "A boon is a favor right?" she asked, deciding to tread carefully.

            He nodded in affirmation. "Yes."

            She paused for a moment before speaking. "I'm wondering why you asked a favor from a little girl in the first place. Is this is a habit of yours or something? To blackmail little girls?"

            His face darkened at her question. "Just you." he replied.

            "Does it really count though?" she pushed, knowing she shouldn't but she couldn't help herself. "I was so young and not near the age of consent. For all you know, I was talking out of my ass when I agreed to your deal."

            "You better hope not." he said.

           Her anger was piqued. "Are you threatening me?"

            "No, not yet."

            "Well I am only stating the obvious here. I had no idea what the hell I was doing! I thought you weren't real, I thought you were a figment of my imagination this whole time!"

            "Stating your case will not change the facts."

            "Well it should. I was eight and stupid. I had no idea what the hell I was getting myself into, and I didn't know what the hell a boon was!" she shouted.

            "That doesn't matter, Mia." he said with a shrug. "You agreed to the terms."

            "I was eight!" she cried out.

            "I believe that this has gone on long enough." he said with a raised voice.

            She shook at the sound of her name, her breathing rapid. "And what if I refuse to comply?"