Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Mia glanced once more in the mirror at her attire. She wore a dress that reached just above her knees, made of velvet material. The back was exposed down to her mid-back. She felt as though she was over dressed, but she knew the dress was perfect for a date night. She was not the type to dress up so extravagantly, her look had always been laid back and casual. The only times she dressed up was when she was forced to.

Her hair was straightened and pulled up in a ponytail. She had minimal make up on, her eyes accentuated by the mascara and the dark liner she wore on her top lids. She swiped Chap Stick on her lips and stuck the tube in the pocket of the coat she would wear with her outfit.

Her phone rang, and she went over to answer it. "Yes?" she answered.

"Mr. Bateman is heading up to your room, Ms. Stanton." Her building's doorman informed her.

Mia's heart skipped a beat as she thanked him and hung up. She ran to her bed and reached under to retrieve a pair of heels. She stuffed her feet in them, knowing she would have blisters later. She grabbed her phone and wallet, trying to maintain her balance as she rushed.

"Oh jacket!" she groaned as she remembered, stopping in her tracks and running back into her room to retrieve her coat. She draped it over her arm as she walked to the living room. She stopped dead and shrieked.

Nicholas Bateman stood there in the living area, his eyes scanning his surroundings with mild interest. She coughed and took air, patting her hand on her chest to revive her heart. "Nicholas, how did you get in here?" she asked.

His eyes landed on her, and he gave her a dashing smile. She felt as though wasps were zooming all over her stomach instead of butterflies.

"Your door was not locked." he explained.

"That doesn't mean it's okay for you to walk into my apartment unwelcomed." she scolded.

He remained silent for a moment more, studying her with those dark blue eyes. She felt as though she wanted to fidget under his scrutiny, but she resisted, remaining still with her head high. His gazed roamed her figure from head to toe, his eyes gleaming with something she could not recognize. She decided to check him out as well, taking in the suit he wore that fitted his figure perfectly. His hair was in place, his jaw clean shaven. He looked perfect.

Finally their eyes met, and she felt her cheeks heat up. "You look lovely."

"You're not so bad yourself." she offered with a smile.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"Yes."

They sat at the rooftop of a lovely restaurant, one she had never attended. She had just finished stuffing herself with the most succulent steak ever made, and she was debating whether she should risk dessert or not.

They had spoken, but it had been safe-speak in her opinion which mean nothing too personal or direct, just small talk. He had asked about her day, and he had told her little to almost nothing of his. She had to admit, she liked the aura of mystery this man cloaked himself in, even if it left her wanting for more.

When the waiter removed their plates from in front of them, she leaned over and rested her elbows on the table, fixing him with a stare. "You know I'm very curious." she began.