Chapter 11: You're A Confused Little Valley Girl

“You had sex with my brother?!” Carly practically shouts wearing a disgusted expression.

“Carly!” I wail. “Just tell all of Tennessee, why don’t you?”

“Sorry,” Carly replies. “It’s just…weird.” She even gives off a fake gag and shiver.

“He didn’t take your V-card did he?” Laurel wonders.

The three of us are in Art class, the second to last class of the day. Today’s Thursday, thank God, meaning that this disastrous week is nearly over. Well, it wasn’t totally disastrous I guess. I made four friends after all. Five if you count Wesley. We’re pretty friendly. You could maybe count Conrad; he’s annoying, but he’s cool to talk to sometimes. When he’s not pissing me off that is. So a total of six friends. Go me. Ben’s not my friend. It’s not that I don’t like him, he’s just not my friend. We’re friendly acquaintances. Yeah, that’s a good label for it.

“God no.” I reply. “If I was a virgin, I think I would have been a little more selective.” To Carly I say, “No offence, you know, to your brother.”

“None taken at all.” She assures me.

“So have you talked to him?” Laurel wonders, spinning around in her chair.

Don’t get me wrong, I still hate East Elm, and my grandma, and Nashville and Tennessee, but this class is pretty cool, I guess. Miss A - she seriously hates for us to call her Miss Duval, which is the appropriate name. Either Miss A or Alice. Alice is just a bit too informal, I think, so I’m sticking with calling her Miss A.

Unlike all of the other classrooms I’ve been to this past week, this one doesn’t have desks. It has five large circular desks situated around the room with colorful rolling chairs at each of them. All four walls are different too. The first wall is white with different, random flashes of paint on them. The second has Miss A’s name no there, and a bunch of little notes from past students either spray painted or written in large marker. Like, “We love Miss A”, “Miss A rules!”, “Alice is the best!” Stuff like that with assorted hearts everywhere. The third wall is colored bright orange with yellow polka dots all over it. And the fourth wall has some kinda ‘under the sea’ themed mural on it.

Miss A is sitting at the front of the room at her desk. If you didn’t know she was a teacher, you’d totally mistake her for a student. She’s short and has long blonde hair flowing down her back, but the ends are dip-dyed pink. I always thought that was really cool, dip-dyed ends. I never got any though because in my part of L.A., you didn’t do stuff like that. It wasn’t classy, and kids in the rich part of L.A. are classy. It’s kinda like Gossip Girl meets Degrassi, minus the babies and mistakes that the students all make. In L.A., we’re all perfect. Some of them were really fucked up, in the brain I mean, I guess the power that comes with being the children of California’s social elite brought them too much pressure. Not for me though. I loved it.

“Earth to Steffy?” Laurel says, snapping her fingers in front of my face.

“Sorry, what?” I ask, snapping back to the present. Man, I zone out easily.

“I asked if you’d talked to him.”

“Ben? No, I haven’t seen him all day.”

“But you’re gonna talk to him? When you see him, I mean.” Carly asks.

I shrug, “I dunno. What am I supposed to say to him?”

“That I can’t answer.” Carly retorts.