Chapter 10: The Ultimate Betrayal

Chapter 10: The Ultimate Betryal

“Good morning,” Wesley says to me as I flop down in the chair next to him in our Chemistry class.

“What’s so good about it?” I murmur, laying my head on the desk.

“Well,” He says, then pauses, like he’s thinking. “You could be dead.”

“I wish I was.” I deadpan.

“Aw, you don’t mean that.” He says, poking my shoulder with his pencil. I sit up from the desk, groaning heavily. “Why the long face, Vandergeld?”

I sigh heavily before saying, “Did you know that you can’t use dish soap in a dishwasher?”

“Uh, yeah. Did you not know that?”

“No idea!” I exclaim. “What’s the point of them calling it dish soap if you can’t put it in a dishwasher? It’s like, they want us to be confused.”

So last night a little while after I loaded and started the dishwasher, my grandmother got home. I heard shouting, and I figured it was nothing or something totally irrelevant to me, so I just turned my David Archuleta up a little louder and stared up at the ceiling. That is, until Spencer came running into my room and told me that Grandma was shouting my name. So after that I was forced to get up, go downstairs and see what all the hubbub was about.

Let’s just say I…saw it, rather than heard it. Soap suds were everywhere, all around the kitchen. Needless to say, my Grandmother was pissed. Like it was my fault, I mean, she knew I didn’t know how to work a dishwasher. She yelled about me about responsibility for about ten minutes before I got tired of hearing it and walked away. She shouted up to me that I was grounded, and I told her that she had no right to ground me, which she doesn’t. My parents of course agreed with her once they got back, and I’m grounded for two weeks now, which is stupid. I mean, how was anything my fault?

Oh and since I didn’t sweep or feed the horses, that accounted for some of my punishment. A load of bullshit if you ask me. I haven’t even asked my parents about going out to Laurel’s party tonight, and now that I’m grounded, I know they’ll say no. I’ll ask anyway though, because maybe I’ll luck out. If they still say no though, I’ll just do what I always did in L.A.- sneak out. And if I can sneak out of a two story mansion, I’m sure I can easily sneak out of a single story shoebox sized house.

Wesley laughs, “I don’t think that’s it, Steffy.”

“Well, I think it is.” I say stubbornly.

“You’re so dressed up today.” He replies, examining my outfit and quickly changing the subject.

I look down at my stripped black and white cashmere Michael Kors sweater, my black leggings and Christian Louboutin heels and frown. “I’m not dressed up.” I defend, looking back up at Wesley.

“So this is how you normally dress? You don’t wear jeans or anything? I thought you were just trying to look all fancy on Monday on account of it being your first day and all.” Wesley replies.

I shake my head, “Nope, I wasn’t trying to look fancy, it’s just normally how I dress.”

“Why?” He wonders curious.

“Why what?”

“Why do you dress like that? Don’t you ever wanna just lounge around in sweats or something?”

I crinkle my nose in disgusting, “Cotton is my least favorite cloth.” I tell him. “So no, not really.”

I guess that amuses Wesley because he lets out a soft laugh. “You’re something else Steffy.”