ZPZG - AOAO [K-song Review #2]

Okay, so if you haven't heard of this group, I don't blame you. I haven't heard of them until about four minutes ago when I came across their song on 1theK's page on YouTube.

And I am not writing about this group because I'm like 'wow I love this stuff!' This is nothing at all like what I'm thinking. I don't know how to describe this. I can see their effort and there is some potential there but they are just not there yet. Where ever there is. And to be honest, I'm not sure they will ever get there.

----------------------------------------

So, the video starts with some awkward head hitting move and some 'ohs'. This is followed by an equally awkward 'You know, ZPZG', and the worst possible noise to make; 'ow!' 'Hit the drums, Oh yo so sexy' were more rap parts which followed. Let's just say it now, it wasn't the best start to the song.

The video now is nothing unique. 'Aegyo' is brought out here to the max with a lot of cute-sy shots. They even bring out children! As if the four chaps didn't have cute enough faces. It's odd because the lyrics are all like you're sexy and you're so hot yet the chaps and the video don't match this vibe at all. Like the video is too cute for the lyrics. Or maybe they should have tamed down the lyrics for the video.

The chorus though is somewhat catchy and has grown on me. The first time I heard it, I was like 'oh no, this is very typical of new rookie groups'. But it's good, it really is. And so is the dance for the song. If we ignore the 'Eh ohh flash light' part, it's a good chorus overall and that's where I see the potential in this group.

The rapping is actually good, which isn't the case for many new groups on the scene. And there's quite a bit of rapping in this song (let's ignore the start of the song shall we?). It works though and it works well if the cute video wasn't there. Where, might I add, he gets the girl at the end, despite the fact they can't look at each other properly.

---------------------------------------

It's weird. The video has just over 20,000 views on YouTube and it came out yesterday which isn't bad at all. They have no fan group name, I don't think, and this is their second song. They're doing alright but I'm just extremely unsure as to whether they'll survive. With new groups coming out every couple of seconds in Korea, very few actually do well and stay around for the years that follow.

This group came out in the same year as groups like Akdong Musicians, GOT7, Mamamoo, Red Velvet and Winner just to name a few and really, there is no comparison in their popularity so far. ZPZG are just behind, which doesn't mean they won't make it and survive. Not at all. It's just they haven't got the same start.

I suppose the marketing and production of this group is just lacking when compared to other groups. You can see that with the video. Like how I said GOT7's song 'Just Right' had a fabulous music video, with stunning graphics and CGI, this video did not. It wasn't awful just not good in comparison.

They have talent; they can sing, rap and dance. But do they have this extra flare that groups need to survive? I don't know. But I hope so because they are just that cute!

And just encase you were as confused as me, ZPZG stands for 'Zest Play, Zest Grow' and no, I don't understand what this means at all.