iKON - Welcome Back [Half Album Review] [K-album Review #3]

So, finally! I am a bit late with this one but come on, I've got college to attend! Anyway, as I am writing this part I have only listened to three of the six songs so half of the songs will be first impressions basically. I just never got around to listening to them all with GOT7's mini album and other mini albums that are out too. It's just been a busy couple of weeks for K-pop, hasn't it?

A little bit of background to iKON is that they are signed with YG - perhaps my favourite label out there as they can boast to having BIGBANG, 2NE1, WINNER and loads of others. I am pretty sure Tablo is after moving so I am not sure if I can stick Epik High in there but they are one of my favourite groups. They were put together during a few survival shows in Korea, B.I and Bobby were in 'Show Me The Money', a rapping contest which Bobby (I think, not sure though) won. There has been a lot of hype around this band for a good while now and they have really taken the scene by storm. Their first release (not even a title track) received an All-Kill because it topped all of the charts in Korea.

I've been excited for a good while now. That being said I don't know all of the members other than B.I and Bobby. But on a side note, that blonde guy is smoken! And his voice - swoon worthy!

Anyway! Without further ado, let us get into this! Here is iKON debut (half) album 'Welcome Back'.

--

1. Welcome Back

So this is one of the songs that I haven't listened to before. It was co-written by B.I and Bobby and B.I took part in the music too - so he is definitely an all-rounder!

This song is a bit big band with some R&B thrown in there and some fantastic rapping. It is definitely a song you can sway to and the chorus really takes it up another vibe compared to the verses which a pretty stellar too.

I can see why this isn't a title track. However, that doesn't mean that this is a less than par song. I do enjoy it but it isn't as hard or as soft as these guys can go. You can definitely tell that when the song pops on. It's pretty chill and you can hear the lyrics and their voices but it isn't anything special. It is a good opening track as it gives you a pretty good indication of how good these guys are and where they want to take this album as a whole.

Nobody really stands out vocally for me in this song. Their voices blend perfectly together as a unit which is a good thing, don't get me wrong, but the song is lacking a bit of their personality. But as I said this is just an opening track so you shouldn't expect mind boggling things to appear. The big band vibe is lovely and fun so it gets you pretty hyped for the rest of the songs.

All in all, a great opening track but not a song that I would listen to alone - only with the album.

--

2. Rhythm Ta

Now this is a song that I have listened to before. I've had this song on repeat so many times, you have no idea. This is what you want from a song - exactly this. It is hard hitting and in your face. This is a YG title track song. It is all boom and hardcore and just badass.

You can really hear it form the opening note and then the heavy beat kicks in and they go 'ah-oh' and my mind is just blown. I must admit that I fell in love with this song immediately. B.I and Bobby really stand out in this song for me because their rapping skills are on point. They sound like veterans in the business, no joke. This is especially true with Bobby for me. His voice is raw and raspy and I am like fangirling over here!