Chapter 8

"Happy birthday dear Lucy! Happy Birthday to you!" All of my dance camp class finishes singing to me and I blow out the candle. And no I meant to say candle because I brought in cupcakes and put a candle in my cupcake because YEAH IT'S MY BIRTHDAY! I'm turning 8! I already got my presents from my mom and dad but I've been looking forward to spending my birthday evening here at the studio all day! As soon as I came into the studio all of the teachers (even the ones I've barely ever met or seen before) wished me a happy birthday and Anne and Razz hugged me.

But now, back to reality. It's the last day of camp before the feis tomorrow and I'm FREAKING out because I'm doing my reel and jig in Prizewinner and I've never done anything in Prizewinner. I'm not feeling too confident though since last feis I came 3rd my reel, 4th in jig, and nothing in my other dances. That was a major confidence downgrader. But that's ok because I've been practicing my butt off at class and at home just so I can get out there tomorrow and dance even better and do my best!

"Lucy! Time for your full reel!" Razz calls out.
"2 or 3 steps?" I ask since at feises I only do two but at Oireachtas I'm doing three.
"3 because it won't hurt if you put in that extra little practice, right?" Razz asks. I nod and begin dancing. When I finish I look over at Razz who looks like she's thinking.
"Since Oireachtas is in 3 weeks, I wanna make sure you're doing steps that are just right for you so I'm gonna give you a new second step." Razz says. What? No! I've been working on my second step so much! I didn't think it was that bad! It couldn't have been that bad could it? Razz proceeds in showing me the new second step and tells me to go work on it while she's running through the rest of the reels.
"Wait, am I doing it at the feis tomorrow? The new step I mean." I ask cautiously.
"Yup! It's your last feis before the Oireachtas so I want you to go out there and do all your Oireachtas steps." Ugh this can't be happening. I'm not very good at remembering new steps, so I'm really nervous about getting out there tomorrow and doing a completely new one that I just learned. I guess I'll just have to go home and work on it!