23. Benefit Of The Doubt

***

In the past, the hushed conversations and cloak and dagger bullshit had been subtle. My brother and father would whisper here, talk in riddles there or use a metaphor or two that nobody but them would comprehend fully. Ward would simply stay silent, no questions or answers, ever. Reece, he would distance me in an attempt to keep me from learning certain truths. The last few weeks had changed all of that. My feelings were no longer being spared and I was now overtly being kept on the outside.

Plans for locating Max and surveying me would be discussed daily in my father's study, without my presence. My hands fisted over my thighs as I sat cross-legged on the floor of the hallway, glaring at the large door keeping me from attending what seemed to be a conference about me and my family. I couldn't comprehend the emotions that swirled around me, something like a gathering storm, anger was present but so was something else. Pushing off the floor, I took a forceful step towards the offending rectangle blocking my path. Banging the side of my fist against it, I took a step back.

Within several seconds the large frame swing open, Tanner began to speak but I couldn't hear the words. Shoving past him, I scanned the faces in attendance. Recognising only Marco, Reece and Ward. Clenching my jaw, I glared at Marco "That's my father's seat." I bit out, furious that these men stood in my house, discussing my life and I wasn't privy to it. His face gave away nothing, decades of training had made the man impossible to read. Standing he un folded the sleeves of his shirt before pulling his jacket on.

My glare shifted to Reece, straightening from a chair. This Trammel I could read like a book, he was agitated, felt guilt and was processing what I was sure were instructions to inflict grave bodily harm. Reece walked past me, pausing only for a second as though he wanted to explain. But we both knew that he wouldn't. "Reece-" Ignoring me, he stormed out of the study and down the hall. Following after him, I entered my bedroom just as discarded his t-shirt in the hamper and slipped into the bathroom.

I had become well acquainted with Reece's characteristic detachment whenever we needed to discuss something important. I was also over it. I was no longer a child, or fragile or scarred and in need of a hero. Walking to the bedside table I slid open the draw, pulling out his Glock and it's accompanying clip.

Holding the weapon in my hand I studied it for several minutes, trying to recall any memory or sensation from the night I'd bee shot. The shower switched off and Reece, clad in nothing but a towel stepped out of the ensuit. Closing the distance between us, I slammed the gun and clip down on the surface of my dresser. "Show me how to use this, now." I demanded. My voice was heavy with both rage and fear. Running a hand through his damp hair he pulled a clean shirt out of the dresser and over his head.

Reaching for a pair of boxers and jeans, he dressed. "You're not ready yet Annabelle." He replied hoarsely. Snatching the gun and clip before he could, I loaded the weapon. Pushing the small rectangle filled with bullets into the base of the hard contraption I pointed it towards him.

"When will I be Reece? Please, explain to me when I'll be ready to take a life. Nobody should ever be ready!" Analysing me his features saddened with emotions he'd previously been able to hide well. Taking the gun he holstered it in the waistband of his jeans, cupping the side of my face he warmed my forehead with his breath as he kissed me softly.

"You're not ready." He whispered hopefully; kissing my lips he pulled me into his chest. "I'm going to find him, Annabelle and I will be the one to end him." Wrapping my arms around him I fastened my grip.

The storm building in my chest stilled, the rage simmering somewhere in the background now as this small contact brought clarity. "I...I need to tell you something." He held me closer in response. Swallowing, I turned my face to the side, leaning my cheek against his chest. "After Max came to see me in the bathroom that day, he- I saw him again after that."